Monday, May 28, 2012

To Brighten Your Day

You know I'm no stranger to bold lips. I like them. They make statements. It took me a while to warm up to them, but now we're friends. However, up until now, my lip collection spanned mostly reds, with a few purple, orange and MLBB shades thrown in for good measure (and by "few," I mean: one of each). What can I say? I just don't do pinks. At least, I thought I didn't.
NARS Pure Matte lipstick in Carthage.
Enter NARS Carthage. I'd seen this one on Temptalia a long time ago and immediately wanted it because of its saturated color and matte finish. I'm a sucker for matte shades. You might think that this wouldn't suit the summer weather, but actually, since matte lipsticks are usually less fussy (i.e. don't budge) than their glossy counterparts, they become a rather effortless choice for the summertime, when you're out and about and have no time to worry about whether your lipstick is traveling, too. Plus, my lips usually aren't as dry in the summer, so mattes aren't as troublesome to apply.
Applied straight from the tube on to bare lips - I find that these Pure Mattes don't get along with lip liner. They don't feather or bleed anyway, so I don't bother. I also, erm, don't own a lip brush.
I held off for a long time, but when the Bandits decided we wanted to do "summer brights" for our next project, my thoughts instantly traveled back to Carthage. I had my doubts - it's so pink, and I rarely even wear pink blush, let alone lipstick. But I swatched it, and it had this immediate brightening effect on my face. I was sold (and it was sold to me by a gleeful Sephora SA - I guess they don't get to sell their bright shades that often). In terms of formula, Carthage is slightly drier than Mascate, and does seem to settle into lip lines a bit more; it's not noticeable from far away, and after a couple of hours I just blend it out a bit with my finger and it's fine.
I'm making friends with shades of pink this summer. This one is not quite as matte as Mascate, I think - it has a slight satiny sheen to it. Doesn't budge, though, and the color lasts for hours!
It looks different than me than it does on Christine (it seems darker and almost berry-esque on her; it's lighter and brighter on me) but this is a pink I can wear, and a bold color I can get behind. It's something new for me - a nice departure from the oranges and reds I usually fall for. I'm quite enamored. What do you think? Would you rock it? Or are you all about coral and orange this summer?


Don't forget to check out all of the bold colors the other bandits are bringing to the table this month. We're getting you ready for summer. Break out your brights, darlings!
For ingredients, please see this post.