Friday, May 25, 2012

Think Pink: More EOTDS

I've done green and orange, and got a request to do pink next, so here it is! I don't have a lot of pink eye shadows because it's hard to find shades that don't emphasize my panda eyes; I only have a couple, but again, you can do a lot with just one or two shades. I realize that with these color themed EOTD posts I'm tending toward the wearable end, but I think there are a lot of brightly colored looks out there already, and people more often want to know how they can wear bright colors in a softer way. With that said, not all of these are going to be office-appropriate or "almost neutral," but I am trying to put together looks that people won't be afraid to try. So, here we go! The products, first:
Clearly I don't own a lot of pink eye shadow. Clockwise, from top: Stila Pearl Palette, Urban Decay Woodstock eye shadow, Urban Decay Woodstock pencil, Shiro Cosmetics Kawaii, Silk Naturals Retro*.

Look #1: Lacy Pink (it reminds me of something ultra feminine and girly, okay?)
NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base
Stila Pearl Palette Pale White Gold, Light Pink shades, Urban Decay Woodstock
Sephora Long-lasting Liner in 01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in Woodstock
The pencil version of Urban Decay Woodstock is quite fuchsia, but blended into my liquid liner, it takes on an almost violet sheen. I like it. It adds variety to life. Anyway, hopefully this first look shows you that pink does not have to be "bam pow in your face!"

Look #2: Bedroom Eyes?

NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base
Silk Naturals
Retro* (glittery, silver pink), Chanel Mirifique
Sephora Long-lasting Liner in 01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in Gunmetal
Clearly my thoughts are with the sexy today. But uh, pink. Smoky. Yes. I like Retro* more than I thought I would; with its light quality, it lends itself perfectly to a smoky eye. This is a softer version, not too smoky (uh, that sounds dumb, but bear with me here) and for once I tried non-winged liner. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but whatever. I applied Mirifique very sheerly with my ring finger to achieve a soft gray.



Look #3: Rocking Retro

NARS Smudge Proof Eye Shadow Base
Silk Naturals
Retro*, Chanel Mirifique, Urban Decay Woodstock
Sephora Long-lasting Liquid Liner in 01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on liner in Gunmetal, Woodstock
This is the same look in #2, but amped up a bit. I start with Silk Naturals Retro* + Mirifique (above); after patting on a fiercer pink like Urban Decay Woodstock and darkening the outer edges, you get a very brightly colored eye. Or well, you get two, but you know what I mean. You don't have to start with a base of Retro, but it does add sparkle and sheers out Woodstock a bit. If you want it brighter, skip Retro.



Look #4: Pastel Pink

UDPP Eden (this is an older look)
Shiro Cosmetics
Kawaii (pastel pink), Urban Decay Woodstock
Sephora Long-lasting Liquid Liner in 01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in Crash
Pastels are another tricksy bunch, but this actually doesn't look bad. I think it's balanced out by the more intense liner. The soft pink on the lid and the brighter pink in the corner seem to work, and I like using a purple eyeliner.

Okay, there are our pinks! I don't have a lot of them, but it's easy to mix it up with other shades for a pop of color. I don't do pink that often because it's really quite obviously colorful, but it is nice every now and again. What's your favorite pink eye shadow?

*Items marked with a star were sent for evaluation by the company.