Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Satisfaction In a Wallet-Friendly Splash of Color

If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know that I was completely smitten with Chanel's summer coral glossimer, Calypso. Unfortunately for me, it's not paraben-free. So I went on the hunt for another coral gloss. I wanted a gloss, not a lipstick, because I was shooting for that juicy, shiny finish. Tracy suggested the Revlon Super Lustrous gloss in Coral Reef; I was hesitant at first, because I remembered the formula being a bit goopy and sickly sweet smelling (I owned one or two in high school), and I'm not a big fan of the Super Lustrous lipstick formula. But I figured, what the hell, they're not that pricey and are usually even on sale. So I picked one up while we were traveling (because damnit, I definitely deserved it, after that airplane fiasco).
Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Coral Reef.
There was a Revlon BOGO 50% off sale at the local CVS there, so I picked this up and the Revlon Colorburst lipstick in Soft Nude. Now, before you start wagging your fingers at me about the ban, I know, but I'm counting these as basics - things I wanted to have in my kit. A good coral lip color and a nude lip color sound like necessities to me. It was driving me nuts not to have the perfect summer lip colors.
As you can see, it's quite pigmented and definitely very juicy. The color leans more pink than orange, but this is really just "coral" to me.
Coral Reef is an opaque gloss without sparkles or shimmer, which I actually prefer for lip glosses (I have a couple of shimmers, but for a stand-alone gloss with punchy color, I like it to be glitter- and shimmer-free). It is slightly fruit scented, but it's not as bad as I remember - it's tolerable. It's slightly sticky and gets stickier throughout wear time, but it never becomes really tacky or goopy. Shine and color last for about two hours without eating or drinking, and the color does stain a bit after the shine has dulled down. In short: it's a fabulous gloss, in terms of color, price, and packaging (comes with your standard doe foot applicator). I will say that I slightly prefer the formula in Revlon's Colorburst lipgloss (I'll compare them later), but this one is still perfectly adequate. Bottom line? Thumbs up from me. My coral craving is totally satisfied, and I've been wearing this one daily.
Bonus FOTD! That's the eye look from the winged colored liner tutorial, in case you're curious. There are smudges under my eyes! I blame mascara. Evil, evil product.