Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Revlon Gold Dust is Gloss Gold

Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Gold Dust.

This is one of the glosses I purchased recently (the other being Coral Reef); while I wanted to wear Coral Reef alone, I wanted Gold Dust to be a layering gloss. I was also interested in trying a different gloss formula from Revlon (this is the Colorburst gloss formula, and Coral Reef is part of the Super Lustrous line). I'd say the formula for Gold Dust is lighter and less sticky than Coral Reef, and it has a different scent; the Superlustrous glosses are fruity smelling, and these are vanilla-scented, but not in the synthetic MAC lipstick way. These have a subtler smell, like vanilla bean ice cream, and I'm actually quite a fan. The last thing to mention is that even though this one is shimmery, it never gets gritty and you can't feel the shimmer on your lips. Between the two formulas, I'd have to say I prefer this one.
It has a paddle applicator that is really easy to use.

It lasts for about three hours shine-wise, though the shimmer does stick around. That can get a bit interesting, as reapplication will add more shimmer and shine. It's not excessive, though, and the fact that the gold shimmer remains after the shine fades means that you get a little more wear out of it. However, it can sometimes look weird to have a mouth full of shimmer and no gloss, so I'd say you've have to reapply throughout the day, especially after eating/drinking.
Revlon Gold Dust.
This is a shimmery nude shade for me when I wear it alone (which I like), but its fairly neutral tones means that it makes a great layering shade. This is actually a trick my mother taught me back in high school. I was looking for an orange lip for prom - something softer than MAC Neon Orange, though. I was not that bold back then, ha! So we purchased an orange lipstick from Sephora and a gloss like this to go over it, and actually, it came out quite lovely. I'll show you.
Left: MAC Neon Orange; Right: Revlon Gold Dust over MAC Neon Orange.

Not exactly the same as my prom lip, but very close. The lighting is bright so it still looks pretty bright here, but I assure you, it turns into a shimmery peachy lip.  This works with other lipsticks, too - you just make a bold color softer, shimmery, sometimes more "wearable." I've got a few more examples:
Left: MAC Heroine; Right: Revlon Gold Dust over MAC Heroine. The gloss, uh, glosses up the matte finish and adds a soft beige shimmer. The overall effect is slightly pinker - less harshly purple.

Gloss works better over matte lipstick, I think, since you don't risk pushing around your lipstick that way. Here's two more, both NARS Pure Mattes.
Left: NARS Carthage; Right: Revlon Gold Dust over NARS Carthage. Sorry for the exceedingly dry lips - successive lip swatches are no fun!
Last one, I promise. This one is my favorite. MY FAVORITE. That may be because Mascate is one of my favorite lipsticks of all time (my supermodel lipstick!), but damn it just looks so good.
Left: NARS Mascate; Right: Revlon Gold Dust over NARS Mascate.

The way the gloss smoothes out all of the dry bits...it's quite fabulous. All right, hopefully this shows that it's quite a versatile gloss, and you can see why I've been in love with it! I will admit that I prefer the feeling of lipstick to gloss - especially no-fuss lipsticks like the NARS Pure Mattes, which don't budge or turn into sticky fly paper (um, that gave me a gross image, sorry). However, this is a nice way to get more mileage out of lipsticks you already own. If you want to see more layering action, check out Xiao's post - though she does it with an LMdB beauty.

Ingredients: Triisostearyl citrate, Polybutene, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica Silylate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Cellulose, Paraffin, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PPG-3 /benzyl Ether Myristate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) oil, Phospholipids, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Fruit Extract, Chamomila Recutita (Matricaria)Flower Extract, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit, Sodiu, Chondroitin Sulfate, Atelocollagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Soluble Collagen, Galactoarabinan, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Squalane, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Ozokerite, Dimethicones/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20, Crosspolymer, BHT, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexandiol.  


Do you have a favorite layering gloss?