Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Empties + Rejects V4

[I'm traveling right now, as I mentioned yesterday, and won't be able to get to comments until I get back - no laptop! Have a great week!]

Welcome to another volume of Empties + Rejects! I find that in addition to simply running out of items, the stash does need to be culled every once in a while, so I routinely toss things. I'm not trying to be wasteful, but life's too short to stick to something that has outlasted its usefulness, right? Right. So. Let's do this.
Empties

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15

OMG you guys, I finished a lip balm! Insane! I tried desperately not to fall in love with this, given that a full tube is $22.50, but it really is that good. A tube lasted me a few months of daily use (hey, it's winter! I slather this stuff on every day) and I have a new one, courtesy of our dear Reductionista. I like everything about this, except for the lemon scent. I don't hate it, but it's a bit strong and is not my favorite. If the balms came unscented, I'd be thrilled.

Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise, sample
I like Jo Malone colognes because they are simple, clear, and easy to wear. They also last pretty much the whole day on me. I have a mini bottle of Vanilla and Anise which I got as part of a set, but I tried to use this one up first. It's nothing startling or unique, but it's easy to throw on when you feel like wearing a scent, but don't have anything specific in mind. I reviewed it here.

Sephora Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover
Won't be repurchasing. I don't think it removes makeup as well as others that I have tried, and the bottle annoys me; it has a little drip top - you hold a cotton ball over it and flip the bottle over - but you end up having to squeeze the bottle (it's a squishy plastic, almost) to get anything out. I had S. remove the top but then the cap was no longer flush against the bottle rim, so when I shook it, it made a mess. Fail.
See? Tiny opening.
Aveeno Positively Nourishing Soothing 24-Hour Body Moisturizer, Vanilla Chamomile
It appears that this is no longer available per Aveeno's website, but it's probably still in store. I like it as an all-over body lotion and it's affordable; I tend not to splurge on body lotion so I always shop at the drugstore. I don't like their Skin Relief lotion at all - actually, I hate it - but this one sinks in better and doesn't leave a sticky residue on my skin. It also relieves dryness, which is really all I need. The scent is pleasant enough. They seem to have a lavender chamomile one now, which sounds even more appealing (love lavender, love chamomile) so I'll probably pick up one of those later. Right now, though I'm using a Fresh body lotion that I had - it came from the Sugar Lust set I bought last year.

Random Samples
An Origins anti-aging eye cream (pills under makeup, otherwise unremarkable), a Murad SPF eye cream that gave me a severe rash under my eyes. Still looking for a good eye cream. The foundation samples are Smashbox Studio Skin, which I did purchase a full size of, and NARS Sheer Glow.

Expired

Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden
I've used UDPP for many years, switching from the original formula to the paraben-free Eden a few years ago with no problem. I like the matte, yellow color of Eden, but lately I've felt like it dries down too staunchly and makes blending hard. Also, it's not as smudge-proof as I'd like particularly with some of the loose pigments I have. I've switched to NARS's eye primer and am finding it to be much easier to work with and much better overall. I've had this UD one for over a year (probably longer!) so I'm ditching it. I've gotten a good amount of use out of it, and I've never been one for slicing up the bottle etc. etc.

Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes sample and Buxom mascara sample (not pictured)
Two of these have gotten old and dried and started to smell funny, so I tossed both (before I could take a photo, ha!). They were both samples that I received as GWPs, I think. I don't use mascara that often and so it's a bit silly for me to buy expensive ones, though perhaps if I did buy one that I liked, I might use it more often. Who's to say? These were actually pretty good and if I were to go high-end again for mascara, I might return to them.

MAC Bust Out lipstick
This made me really sad, as I really like this color and find it wearable despite its extreme...purple-ness. But you can see that it has very suspicious white dots all over it, which looks an awful lot like something unhealthy growing all over it. I'm scrapping the lipstick and keeping the tube for Back to MAC, I suppose. Though I doubt I'll ever have six finished items to give back.
It was kind of hard to capture, but they're definitely 3D little fuzzy bumps, and not dust or anything.

Annnd...there aren't any rejects this time, because I haven't really been shopping. Hopefully I'll have more empties again soon - I'm steadily working my way through some skincare! I don't think I'll ever finish another makeup product, though, ha! Although I do hope that the rest of them stay fungi-free.