Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Beauty No-Buy: Update #5

It's been four months, and this month was better than the last, but perhaps not by much. I repurchased a Clinique moisturizing gel because I ran out, and I bought a new eye cream (Origins A Perfect World for Eyes). I also picked up a couple of Revlon lip products. I'm going to call those okay under ban rules, and I'll explain why.

I've been doing some thinking (oh no, again? I hear you. I'll try to keep this short) about my motivation for beauty shopping. Yes, I like pretty packaging and new items and luxurious high end products, but I also like having a wide variety of colors and finishes, so that I can create anything I want on my personal canvas. For summer, I wanted some different lip shades - something to complement the eye looks I came up with. I wasn't satisfied with any of the ones I had (red is a power color, and I wear it often enough, but it just didn't go), and I could picture in my head the shades that I wanted. I also wanted a couple of glosses, so that I could layer them over my lipsticks and create new shades and finishes. I wrestled with the ban, but you know, in the end, I decided that if I had a focused list and I wasn't going to go overboard with it, why not buy what I wanted to satisfy myself? I was planning on wearing them often, I didn't want them just to have them, and I was willing to look for affordable versions. So I went forward.

On the list: a coral gloss, a gold gloss, and a bright summer lipstick. I got two out of three. I picked up the Revlon Colorburst Gold Dust lip gloss at my drugstore during a sale, with a coupon: the total came out to $3.79, with tax. Less than a coffee! Score.

The second Revlon gloss, Coral Reef, was purchased during a BOGO 50% off sale at the CVS in PA (the other item I bought was the Colorburst lipstick in Soft Nude, which I was hoping would be my nude lipstick - another item on the "basics" wishlist). Total for both? $9.29. So my transgressions total to $13.08, including tax. Not bad for some basic shades, right? And I've used both glosses almost daily since I purchased them, which makes me happy. They're the perfect shades for the bronzed, summery looks that I've been favoring lately.
Top: Revlon Coral Reef. Bottom: Revlon Gold Dust.
So, what say you? Should I have stuck it out, or can these count as basics? Don't worry - I'm tightening up the wallet strings and hoping to stick out the last month!