Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bain de Terre Purité Healthy Moisture Repair Review

I'm not sure if I've admitted to this on the blog before, but I'm not much of a hair care girl. Because I have short hair, I visit the salon regularly (about every two months) to keep it trim, so I don't really feel the need to splurge on tons of hair care products. I don't own a blow dryer or a curling/straightening iron - basically, I'm a wash-and-go girl. I usually just grab whatever shampoo is currently on sale at the drugstore (after scanning the ingredients for the p-word, ha!), and call it a day. However, you might remember that I've recently been making an effort to eliminate SLS and some of those other hot topic chemicals out of my bath and beauty products. So, when I was contacted by Bain de Terre to give their newest natural line a try, I was pretty excited.*

I've been using their Purité Healthy Moisture Repair Shampoo, Conditioner, and Healthy Leave-In Elixir for about a month, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed. The line is free of sulfates, parabens (woo-hoo!), formaldehyde, colorants, gluten, mineral oil, phtalates, MEA, DEA and PPG. That's pretty fabulous. It leaves my hair feeling healthy, too - it's not dry, it's shiny, and it all falls nicely into place. I shower at night and then use the Elixir in the morning (you're supposed to use it on wet hair, which I have done a few times, but usually I spray it onto dry hair); my hair is then tangle-free, easy to comb, and doesn't stick out in weird ways the way it used to. (I will mention that even without using the Elixir, it's pretty tangle-free. I do have short hair, so it can't get into too much trouble, really, but I can get the occasional snag here and there with other shampoos).

I wash my hair daily because I do some form of exercise daily, so it's important to me that my shampoo isn't stripping or harsh. This shampoo doesn't lather up excessively (which is expected, given the ingredient list), but it does work its way through my hair, no worries. I rinse completely, condition once, and then towel and air dry. In the morning, I spray the Elixer (shake well! Shake very, very well!), let it sink in for a few minutes while I wash my face and put in my contacts, and then comb out. The shampoo and conditioner are lightly scented with a smell that reminds me of the white tea and ginger products from Origins and Bath & Body Works - it's not strong and it doesn't last after the shower, which may or may not please you. I don't need my hair to smell, so it's all good here.

The one thing I will mention is that I wish the shampoo and conditioner bottles were in some way different - different color, or different shape. It's a small thing, but you know, I usually take out my contacts by the time I shower, and I have to pick each bottle up and peer at it to see which is which. That's just a minor packaging wish, though.

These are available in the US at Cosmoprof and they also seem to be available in Ulta stores (but not online); the shampoo is $14.00 for 13.5 oz, the conditioner is $15.00 for 13.5 oz, and the Leave-In Elixir is $16.00 for 4.2 oz. You can also find more information at baindeterre.com. I will say that for someone who is used to buying drugstore hair products, it is quite a price hike, but I'm really loving the way my hair looks and feels lately! I'd say it's worth it, especially for a line that's free of many potentially harmful ingredients. My favorite has to be the Leave-In Elixir, though; even if you pass on the shampoo and conditioner, the elixir - you must try it! I don't style or do anything fancy with my hair, but I do have a styled cut, and it makes my hair fall into place so nicely.

If you want another review, check out Eugenia's.

*All of the products in this review were provided by PR for evaluation and review. This is NOT a sponsored review.