Sunday, April 22, 2012

More Orange: For Your Eyes

Regular readers will know that I do not shy away from color (most of the time). For the past couple of months, I've been a bit uninspired, which explains the lack of EOTD posts around here. I blame the weather. The sun has finally begun to show its face, though, and the weather is slowly warming up, so I've been feeling happy and cheerful again, and ready to play with more colors. Orange is one of my favorites for eyes, and I know a lot of people avoid it because of its brightness, so I decided to do a couple of orange looks to show you that you can do it! It can be subtle, even. Here are four, perhaps you'll give one a try?

Here are the products I used, with a few exceptions (Fyrinnae Fire Opal and Pixie Epoxy aren't pictured; I used those for the "smoky" look. Urban Decay's El Dorado is also missing.).
Stila Natural Beauty palette (orange shades in the top left), Sephora Long-lasting Liner in 01 Black, Urban Decay Bourbon pencil liner, Shiro Cosmetics Charmander, Darling Girl Cosmetics Yule's Angel liner, Bare Escentuals Kiko.


Look #1: Almost Peachy.
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
Stila
Natural Beauty Palette (matte orange, brown)
Sephora Long-Lasting Liner,
01 Black
Urban Decay 24/4 Glide-on pencil, Bourbon
If you start with a pale orange shade - something almost peachy, and matte - the effect is much subtler than the bright "Tangerine Tango" shade. I also find that strong liner keeps things looking clean and well, I wing my liner every day, because I like the shape it gives my eyes.

Look #2: Orange and Gold, Orange and Gold.
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
Stila
Natural Beauty palette (peachy shades)
Shiro Cosmetics
Charmander (shimmery yellow-orange)
Bare Escentuals
Kiko (yellow gold)
Sephora Long-Lasting Liner,
01 Black
Darling Girl Cosmetics Yule's Angel (metallic gold)
This one looks a bit patchy in the photo, but it looked fine in person (ugh, frustration!). I used the gold liner to brighten things up a bit, and to give it a more, er, festive spin.

Look #3: Citrus Twist (it's hard to name these damn things, okay?)
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base
Shiro
Likelike (pearly white), Charmander (yellow orange)
Sephora Long-lasting Liner,
01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil, El Dorado (gold)
I like this one - the white really makes the orange pop, I think. High contrast, for the win! I also love blending my colored pencil liners into slightly wet liquid liner, because it gives a nice molten look. I think. It also seems to help lasting power.

Look #4: Smoky Orange.
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Shadow Base, Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy
Shiro 
Charmander (shimmery yellow orange), Fyrinnae Fire Opal (blackened bronze gold)
Sephora Long-lasting Liner, 
01 Black
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Liner, Bourbon


Because everyone should have a smoky eye in their arsenal, and you can do it with any color. Keeping color off of the bottom lashline keeps it from going over the top (and honestly, I hate lining the lower lashline).  Not sure why the photo looks extra greenish, sorry!

And there you have it! Four looks to try, using mostly the same colors. If you only have one orange eye shadow that flatters your skin tone, that's all you need. What's your favorite orange shadow?