Friday, April 6, 2012

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium

I don't always want a full face of foundation, and on lighter days I tend to wear just a powder over my sunblock and moisturizer. I wanted a new powder (this was back in January, pre-ban, for those of you keeping track) and I'd heard good things about this , so I went to get matched. Medium is my shade. The SA said if I wanted a more bronzy glow I could go one shade darker, but I prefer to use a separate bronzer for that kind of thing, and get a powder that is a better match for my actual skintone. I do think that since the powder is quite sheer, it wouldn't be terrible if it wasn't an exact match; if I were to tan during the summer (ha! Not in this city!), it would still be okay, I think.

It's not intended to be a heavy coverage powder, but it does even out my skin and keeps oil at bay. I'm not particularly oily (at least not during the colder seasons), but if I don't wear anything at all, I do notice that I get little shiny throughout the day; this eliminates that problem. I've also noticed that it photographs fairly well (you can see it here), and though I don't really feel like it makes my skin particularly radiant, it gives a natural finish, as opposed to looking too powdery or too matte. I'm not sure that it lasts more than 8-10 hours in terms of coverage, but I don't become oily throughout the day, which is more of a concern to me. It's not a very heavy coverage powder anyway. But I've been wearing it all winter, and I'm very happy with it.

If I'm feeling lazy or if I just don't want that "full face of foundation look," I'll just wear moisturizer, Clinique Super City Block, and this all over the face. I use my EcoTools Kabuki to buff it all over my face in a few seconds. Easy breezy...oh wait, that's another brand. You get the idea.

Ingredients:
Try it if: You're looking for a light, pressed (ish?) powder that can be used either as a very light foundation or as a setting powder.
Skip it if: This is just one option of many (even just at MAC), so if you're not in the market or already have your HG powder, you can safely continue on with your lives. For what it is, I think it is quite excellent, though it does seem to be at a higher price point than some of their other products; for example, the Studio Fix powder is $27 for 0.52 oz, while this is $29.00 for 0.35 oz. The price hike is true for the mineralize vs. powder blushes, too, though, so I suppose it is not that surprising.

$29.00 at MAC counters or stores.