Friday, April 13, 2012

I Broke The Ban (with MAC Goodies)

...but I don't feel bad. I've been looking for a gold - not rose gold, not bronze, not pale champagne - highlighter for a long time, and when swatches of MAC's Whisper of Gilt came out, I knew this was it. I was also intrigued by descriptions of its "hybrid" texture, and the packaging is pretty. So, when the collection came online, I ordered it. I also picked up MAC Heroine, because my favorite purple lipstick (MAC Bust Out, which is less than a year old) has grown mold. Um, ew, right? It was stored well and capped and all of that, so I'm not sure what the hell happened to it, but mold is gross and that's the end of that. Today I have swatches of Whisper of Gilt for you, and I'll try to get Heroine up later this week or early next.
MAC Whisper of Gilt Extra Dimension Skinfinish.
There are three in the collection - Glorify, Superb, and Whisper of Gilt. I passed on Glorify because I already have a couple of bronzers, and I can't for the life of me think how I could pull off that dark, bronzy, metallic copper shade (it is gorgeous, though!). I also passed on Superb, because I own Laura Mercier's Rose Rendezvous highlighter, and though they are not exactly the same, they are close enough for me (NaturalnChicmakeup has a comparison post here). Whisper of Gilt fit my "gold highlighter" qualification, so that's the one I picked up.
Left: indirect sunlight. Right: direct sunlight. Swatched with a finger.

You can see that it is quite gold on me - not bronzy or rose or any of that. I'm quite delighted. I think it's probably the most unique color, of the three. The texture is not really that odd, in all honesty. It's a very smooth, soft powder. Perhaps cream-to-powder. But none of that magic nonsense that they seem to go on about. Though it is very nice, very easy to apply, and very pigmented, so I suppose that is magic, in a way. On my face, when I apply with a fluffy brush, I get a very sheer wash of, er, glow - that's the best description I can think of for it. I want to play around with brushes (or maybe I'll have better luck with my fingers?) to see if I can get the metallic, golden sheen in the above swatch to show up on my face. That's probably a more editorial look than you'd want to go with daily, though.
This is a page out of Nordstrom's most recent catalog. I want the shoes, and the model's face is beautifully made up. I felt like the colors suited, so I snapped a shot.

These are $29.00 and limited edition, so if you want one, you'd better scoop one up! I think my store was already out of Superb, but these are also on Nordstrom's site as well as MAC's site.

As for the ban, don't worry. I'm back on the wagon. I think my shopping habits really have changed (and I'm also realizing that I need to work on my closet instead of my train case!) so hopefully, other than one more teeny tiny exemption, there will be no more ban-breaking. I only have to last until the end of June!