Monday, April 30, 2012

From the Perfume Box: Spring-Summer Smells

Compared to the rest of the country, summer in Seattle is kind of muted, I suppose. I love them, and think they are the best part of the year, but our version of summer is a clean, happy 80 degrees, with low humidity, rampant sunshine, and a day spanning 5 AM to 10 PM. The Pacific Northwest is truly a glorious place from May through September. Usually. I don't know what the weather will be like this year; last year we didn't get any real warmth until late July, and while it did stop raining for most of the usual summer months, I kind of like being dry sometimes.

With that said, however, it's easy to see how our spring bleeds into our summer, or perhaps our spring is our summer - at least, by everyone else's standards. So already in April, with just the slightest hint of warmth and sunshine, I'm hauling out the "summer" scents. Because, really, it doesn't actually get much warmer than the beautiful, calm 75 degree days we've had recently. So here is a snapshot of the scents that I'm loving now, and will continue to rotate through until the rainy months start again in October.
I really like that hat. :)

In general, during the summer, I prefer light florals, crisp citrus, beachy marines, and once in a while, faintly herbal greens - the ones with the sharp, clean, medicinal tendencies, not the stuff that smells like it comes out of an old, mysterious, dusty shop. No incense for me, please. Here are my current summer standbys, in no particular order. I've reviewed them all before (click the names for the original reviews), but here are snippets of descriptions, to give you an idea of what they might be like.

Scent by the Sea Fiori di Roma: A light, lovely floral; not candy sweet and not powdery at all. I feel ultra feminine when I wear this one, and since their description calls back Roman Holiday, I feel like I'm channeling Audrew Hepburn when I wear it, which is always a good thing.

DKNY pureDKNY Verbena Scent Spray: This is really strong, so I usually spray a cloud, wait a few seconds, and then dash through it, while S. laughs at me. It's the typical summer scent: clean and crisp, with strong citrus notes and a splash of verbena. It reminds me of the stronger men's scents without being too spicy.

Sweet Anthem Lizie: Here's that herbal I was telling you about. Clean, green, faintly medicinal - Lizie smells of live green plants and fresh air: it's the embodiment of nature's cresting warmth and the peak of growth and glory.

Scent by the Sea Egyptian Honey: I guess you might not associate a "honey" scent with summer, but really, it's perfect. A sweet honey scent with a richer musk that grounds it. Comfortable, soft, feminine, but still light, not sticky.

What kind of scents do you wear during the warmer months? Do you stick to a favorite, or do you go through several, like I do?