Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wedding Series FOTD #1: Classic

Okay. I'm sure you are all going to be tired of hearing about my upcoming wedding (me too :P), but I decided to do a series for it. I know it's only March, but I'm one of those plan-ahead types. Seriously. I like making lists and having things nicely squared away. Sigh.

Now, everyone has different perceptions of what is appropriate for a wedding; this depends on cultural traditions and largely on the individual bride. For some women, the "natural beauty" look is perfect - minimal makeup, glowy skin. However, I'm not sure that that is quite me, and I'm having some trouble figuring out what kind of look I do want for my "wedding face." So, I thought it might be fun to do a variety of them, just to try them out - and get some input. From S., and from all of you! I also thought it might be helpful for other people out there who have no idea what they want. To be clear, I will be hiring a MUA for the actual event, but even then I think I should have some sort of idea of what I want, right? I have tons of makeup waiting to be played with, so...here goes!

First up: the "classic" look. (Many of you have already seen this on Twitter - sorry!) I know there are lots of opinions about a red lip for a wedding, most of them negative. I understand all of the issues: high maintenance, too strong, possibly too vampy, not "ingenue" enough. I'm not saying they're not valid reasons (except for that last one - I find it ridiculous and am tossing that one out of the window. Sorry.) and the last thing I want to worry about is red lipstick smeared all over my face. But, you know, my mom wore red lipstick as a bride, and her photos are beautiful. Almost thirty years later, I still find them classic and gorgeous. I think it depends on the bride. I'm not crossing anything off the list without trying it first!

Here's my first version. There are so many things to consider: how it all looks with flash, how it all looks without flash, what the lasting power of each product is, etc. As far as the high maintenance issue goes, I've worn Mascate for full-length days before without any problems - no smearing, no traveling, and easy reapplication. It's a pretty effortless red (except for the initial application, which takes precision and time). So, that aside, I'd love to hear your thoughts, but please try not to be too deflating. Thanks in advance :)
With flash.
Natural light, no flash.
And a close-up of the eyes.
Face
Smashbox Studio Skin in 1.2
Clinique Teddy Bear quad, darkest shade (contour)
Laura Mercier Rose Rendezvous (highlight)

Brows
Tarte Jewelry Box, gray + black matte shades

Eyes
UDPP Eden
Stila Natural Beauty palette (matte peach)
Tarte Jewelry Box, matte black
Sephora Long-lasting Liquid liner, 01 Black
Revlon Photoready 3D Volume Mascara, 01 Blackest Black
Ardell False lashes

Lips
NARS Pure Matte Mascate lipstick

Obviously I don't know how to conceal, do magic with my brows, or put on false lashes, etc. (which is why I'm going to find a MUA for the actual day!), but I'm mostly interested in seeing the overall look - if the colors suit me or not, etc. In this case, I think it's overall a little too dark. Maybe a brighter lip (Rouge Dior Belle de Nuit?) would suit. S. is in agreement. What do you think? I'm going to do a bunch of these - not just until I find one I like, but just to explore all kinds of looks. I won't know until I try, right? Hope you don't get tired of seeing my face! Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions or looks that you want to see!