Monday, March 26, 2012

Sweet Anthem: In the Vault

In January, Sweet Anthem incorporated a new element into its store: The Vault.

(Oooh. Sounds mysterious, doesn't it?)

It's a tremendous undertaking, because it is the complete archive of all of the perfumes that they've come out with since their opening in 2007. It's quite a list. However, these fragrances are available for purchase only during seasonal Sweeps Weeks; you can find information about those dates in the calendar.

I was able to get hold of three perfume oil samples during the last Sweeps Week, thanks to Meredith. My nose has hated me for the past few weeks though (something about weird weather mood swings aggravates my nose) so I've only been able to get to these very recently. Worry not - each has had its fair trial time. I bring to you, my thoughts. Ha.

I have Lizie*, Lori*, and Mary*. The women's names always make me curious about the perhaps real person who inspired the scents. I rather like it. The official scent notes and descriptions (if available) are taken from Sweet Anthem's website.
image source
Lizie*: Dirt, Oakmoss, Immortelle, Neroli, Petit Grain, Tomato Leaf

Oh, Lizie. The dirt and oakmoss in the vial kind of turned me off, because let's face it, I don't actually like getting dirty and I don't really like smelling "earthy" in the literal sense. Once applied to skin, it slowly grows into a clean, green scent, but still very earthy - exactly like a sprouting plant. I have to admit that I don't know what tomato leaf smells like; to me, it's faintly medicinal and very green, and I am surprised by how much it appeals to me. I didn't think I'd like this one, but something about it is delightful to my senses. I think I like fragrances with the slightest of herbal turns.
image source
Lori*: sandalwood, sea moss, lemon, jasmine, bergamot, and black tea.

I started with Lori, because it was the most pleasing to me on first sniff. It's ultimately a tea scent, I think, but not heavily sweet like sweet tea from the South. In the vial, I get some of the sandalwood and sea moss in an almost leathery, vinyl smell that balances out the stronger sweetness from the tea and citrus. On my skin, it's sometimes floral, sometimes vinyl, and inherently tea. Like a young girl on the edge of transformation - walking the thin line between being a carefree child and being a rebellious teenager, but still with a core of sweetness. I like it for when I'm feeling slightly edgier, but still girly. You know, like wearing a leather jacket over my girliest dress.

image source
Mary*: New Mown Hay, Sea Moss, Wildflowers, Daffodil, Black Cherry, Tangerine Peel


I was initially a bit nervous about this one, because in the vial, I get cherry. I'm not a fan of cherry scents or flavors (although I will eat fresh cherry pie, ha!). But what the hell. I dabbed some on my wrist (a teeny bit! I'm not that brave!) and let it do its thing. Immediately on my skin, I get the hay and the wildflowers. The cherry persists, but it's no longer flamboyantly cherry; the fruit simply lends its sweetness to the musky, floral scent. It's not excessively spicy or grassy or powdery, but retains the mossy, moody element. It's interesting, and an unique spin on cherry. I think it was originally a summer release, and I can see that. It's more of the calm after the storm, though - rain-washed flowers, damp moss, cookies on your porch.

I really liked the variety of these; sometimes scents from a single perfumer tend to feel recycled or repeated, and that is definitely not the case with Sweet Anthem. I have toyed with the idea of a "signature scent" for a while, but you know, I'm not in the same mood all the time, so it kind of makes sense that I wouldn't want to wear the same perfume all the time, right? Just like I don't wear the same makeup every day. I guess I'm fickle that way. These scents as a whole are unexpected and all of them offer an experience, from first sniff to the last echoing notes on your skin. If you see something you like, I'd give it a go. You never know, right?



Perfumes can be purchased at sweetanthem.com.


*Items marked with a star were sent for evaluation and review by the company. This is not a paid review, and all opinions are my own.