Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Beauty No-buy: Update #3

Two months have passed. Still holding strong! I haven't bought anything frivolous/unnecessary. Really.

I will admit that in the past month, I purchased a few things, but they are all a-ok under the ban rules. And come out to about $32 all together, which is not so bad, right? It's about the price of a Dior lipstick. (Oh, Dior. How I miss you so.)

Purchases:
wedding prep
Ardell False lash kit, $7.99

replacement/basics
Milani brow pen, $4.49 (sale at Walgreens)
Revlon Photoready 3D Volume Mascara, $5.99 (sale at Fred Meyer, replaces two dried out mascaras)
Cake Beauty It's a Slice hand cream, $14 at Amazon, replaces my old Cake Beauty Milk Made
I'll have reviews for these up soon.
I also passed on my opportunity to buy anything this month. Remember? I said that I'd give myself an allowance of two items, totaling less than $75, when my best friend came to visit. Well, she came and went (sad face!) but I didn't buy anything. There were things that I wanted, definitely (NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer, I'm talking to you!) but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on that one. The Dior tinted moisturizer I have sitting in my train case is taunting me. I'm going to try to finish that up, but it may be a battle, as it's a little heavier than I actually prefer. Imagine that, right? I figure, if I do manage to finish that sucker, buying the NARS tinted moisturizer would be allowed. Since it'd be a replacement. And you need a TM for the summer, right? Right?

I don't know. I guess I'm finding it harder to justify purchasing items when I know how much stuff I already have; I find myself longing for that simpler, more streamlined routine that I used to have in the very beginning, when my stash was limited to a small makeup bag. I'm also kind of hoping that this ban will induce a permanent change in my makeup shopping habits. You know, so I'll be able to walk away with just one item every once in a while, and not feel guilty about it because it's not in excess. I can then buy something pretty when it catches my eye, but perhaps those occasions will be more spaced out because I'll be more discerning about what catches my eye. I think I'm heading in that direction, as evidenced by my unfruitful (or very fruitful, depending how you look at it, I suppose!) shopping trip this month. Don't get me wrong - I still like to shop. For clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. But: everything in moderation, even moderation.

How are you all doing? How are your bans/limited buys? What are your beauty-related goals? Thanks for reading my confessional! I may also be posting an updated blog sale soon (with some MAC items, at least), so keep your eyes peeled.