Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sephora Hot Hues Baked Eyeshadow Palette in Burnished Cocoa

A smattering of nice neutrals, and yes, the right half of the big disc is matte. The brushes came taped down, though there was still fall out on the bottom of the brush cavity. Weird.
I was browsing through Sephora (never a good idea) on a snow day, and saw this pop up. They had two palettes; this one, and Mulberry, which looked like it had purple shades. I picked this one. I figured, I have tons of pressed powder shadows, loose shadows, a pencil shadow, and even a cream shadow, but I have never had a baked shadow (worst reasoning ever, right?). So, erm, yeah. This went in the cart.
Yeah, so this thing is almost neon. It practically glows in the dark. Also, it came wrapped along the edges, which is nice. It's also a little more reddish than it appears here; to be honest, the fluorescent color kind of freaked my camera out, I think.

Lately, it seems like Sephora has been stepping up their game. I love their liquid liners, and I've seen great reviews on the new Prisma Chrome shadows and lipsticks - a lot of things. So I was pretty optimistic about this one - optimistic, but also slightly wary, because from what I've read, it seems like baked eyeshadows should really be used wet. And, well, I'm lazy, and using a shadow wet means I have to wet my brush. And then wash and dry them. And then you need lots of brushes...yeah. I know. Whine, whine, whine, right?
All swatched on bare skin, no primer, dry. Matte shade on the far left, then lightest to dark. The color payoff of the matte shade isn't the best - it's powdery - but it's better than it seems here. It's almost exactly my skin shade, so it doesn't show up well here.

However, in this case, it's worth it. Baked shadows should be used wet, right? It makes quite a difference. Except for the matte shade - I think the matte shade is worse when it's wet, but then...do you really want to wet a matte shade? I'm not sure.
Swatched wet over bare skin, no primer. They are shimmery, but not glittery - an important distinction. When used wet, they apply creamily, like a...cream shadow. Ha! The darkest shade has an almost-matte base, which is nice to see.

I think these colors are lovely, and all together they make quite the neutral palette. Sometimes I feel like brown shadow palettes are too brown, or too warm, but the inclusion of the peachy golds in this palette make me happy. Also, the dark shade isn't overly warm (red-based browns make me look dirty) which is a relief. At this price point, it seems like a nice little palette. When you think about other baked shadows (MAC's single shadows, Laura Mercier's singles), the value here seems significantly better. However, I think as far as application goes, you really only use one or two shadows wet at a time (any more than that and they all just start to blend together, I feel) so it's a matter of personal choice in this case. The palette offers more versatility in a small package - essentially, six colors for $24 - but you would only use one or two of them at a time. If you'd rather just the single baked shadow, go for that.
In case you were curious about the size: here it is with a Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter next to it as a reference. Also, this is closer to the actual color of the palette.

I will say that I still hate applying shadows wet - and don't have much practice with it - so if that's not at all your thing, you can safely skip this one. Likewise, if you don't want shimmery shadows, skip. Otherwise, it's a lovely palette and I look forward to trying out some different looks with it. Here's one.
Sephora Hot Hues Baked palette in Burnished Cocoa, various shades, all used wet
Sephora Long-lasting Liner in
01 Black
UD Bourbon liner

Nice neutrals, right? Not too metallic or glittery, just the right amount of shimmer, and has the soft finish of some cream shadows.
$24 at Sephora, limited edition.