Friday, February 10, 2012

Recent Returns

Edward Bess All Over Seduction in Sunlight, $38, and Ultra Luminous Bronzer in Desert Sun, $45.
We don't always love things, right? I'm trying to be more disciplined and strict about this for myself. Products have to wow me - especially high-end, expensive products - or they are just going back. They cost too much money to be failures, you know? I figured that you might want to know what I dislike as well as what I like, so I thought I'd do a quick mini-review for each one.

Products 1 and 2 on the chopping block: an Edward Bess highlighter and bronzer. Edward Bess products have recently become available on Sephora's online site; with all of the hype surrounding the line, I had to try some to see if they delivered.

1. Edward Bess All Over Seduction in Sunlight: Before I start, I have to tell you: the "All Over Seduction"product name and the big "EDWARD," as well as the shade "Sunlight," make me think of Twilight. I'm sorry if I've forever more ruined your Edward Bess experience, but it had to be said.

Anyway. I love champagne-colored highlighters, so I really had high hopes for this one, but in reality I find it dry, unremarkable, and definitely not worth $38. From reading other reviews and the Sephora description, I was expecting this to have an emollient, creamy consistency. To me, though, it's actually a bit dry. At first I thought that there was just some sort of film on top of it that I had to work through, but I don't think that's it. The other thing I considered is that perhaps the cold, dry weather here is making it a bit too stiff; if you work at it with a finger, it gradually starts to warm up (I've found brushes ineffective). But do I have time to sit there nursing my illuminator? No. Do I want to run through layers of it just to warm the damn thing up? No, again. Also, did you know this thing is scented? Why? Why does a highlighter need to have a fig scent? Back to Sephora, thanks.
The compact is tiny; it's slightly larger than a Bobbi Brown Creamy Corrector.


Stila Kitten is not a highlighter, but I swatched them together to show the similarity in color and the difference in texture and finish. You can see that Sunlight sinks into skin a little better and is not as frosty, which is good for a highlighter. The color is similar to Kitten.



2. Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Bronzer in Desert Sun: It's a nice bronzer, finely milled and easy to use, but the brush is useless and scratchy - I'm not sure why they changed their packaging to include it (the old version was just a round compact, no brush). It's matte, which I like, but again, to me, it's simply not worth $45. There are other, lovely bronzers for far less than this. And again, this is strongly fig-scented, and I dislike that immensely. It seems unnecessary to me and kind of cheapens the product.
Desert Sun is the darker of the two shades offered. I wanted to use this to contour, but it's *slightly* too orange for that. If I wanted an all over bronzer, I would have gone with Daydreamer, the lighter shade.

Like the highlighter, I think this may be one of those products that is simply overhyped because of its previous limited availability and "hard-to-find" status. It's not a bad product, not by any means, but nothing compelled me to keep it. Also, since we're on the subject: what do you use to contour?
3. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Nylon Nude: Dry. The color is unflattering (too peachy for me), and the formula is not my favorite, not by far. It kind of reminds me of a MAC Amplified Creme, though it is far drier and doesn't apply as smoothly. Once on my lips though, it has a similar opaque, heavy finish and I'm not really a fan (for the record, Amplified Creme finishes are not my favorite). My hunt for the perfect nude continues! These are $19, so that's almost a twenty, back in my pocket!
Not my color. Could be yours!
Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick ingredients
Okay, that's it for me here. Anything you've rejected lately?