Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Take on "Neons and Nudes" With MAC Neon Orange

image source: Temptalia
Bobbi Brown's collections don't usually attract my interest, probably because I feel like they're all the same. I'm not shooting down neutrals or anything - far from it, as I've really been in love with them lately - but nothing ever jumps out at me. When I saw the Neons and Nudes promotion photos, though, I immediately fell in love with the model's clean face, bold lips, and strong brows. Gorgeous!

When the collection first came out, I lingered at a Bobbi Brown counter or two and looked over the neutral shadow palette, but passed - I felt like the colors weren't really distinguishable from one another. I easily passed on the blushes, too, but it took a little more effort to walk away from the sheer lip glosses and the lipsticks. They are so pretty! I especially wanted the orange one. But $23 is a lot of money for a lipstick that I, if I was being honest with myself, would probably only wear once. Maybe twice. So I walked away from the counter, wallet happily still full, but hands empty.

And then I saw that MAC had Neon Orange on its "bye-bye" list (or whatever it's called), so I figured, ah, what the hell. I ordered it when I did my blush haul (also because Tracy made me), and when it got here, I opened it and went, "Holy smokes, that is orange." And I put the cap back on, set it all down carefully, and walked away.
MAC Neon Orange, which looks practically like Morange. They're both Amplified Cremes (which is not my favorite MAC lipstick finish, to be honest - it's often a bit too mod looking on me). 

But of course, curiosity got the best of me and I eventually put the damn thing on. I wanted to know if it would pull red on me (as I've seen on some bloggers), or actually be orange. Verdict? It's orange.
Perhaps a reddish orange, but it's definitely orange. Creamy, opaque, and orange. But I like it. I think it's wearable, if you tone down the rest of your makeup. Since it's yellow-based, it does make my teeth seem more yellow (dislike!), but I think I'm going to try some of those Crest whitening strips soon, with the wedding coming up and all. Is it my fault that all the fun things stain my teeth? Tea, coffee, red wine...boo hiss.
Chanel Perfection Lumière B20
Stila
Natural Beauty palette
Sephora Long-Lasting Liquid Liner,
01 Black
UD Underground 24/7 Glide-on eye liner
Illamasqua
Libido
Buxom mascara
And of course, I had to try to recreate the model's look. Well, perhaps not recreate, since my face is very different, and no makeup is gonna change bone structure, etc. But uh, uh, I tried to do something similar. Yeah. That. (Oh man, I'm eloquent today).
My face is scary! Last time I posted a FOTD, I lost a follower. *giggle* I'm sorry in advance!
Okay, so. MAC Neon Orange is a win in my book. I do find that the Amplified Creme finishes are sometimes *too* creamy and a bit heavy, but they do wear for a couple of hours (probably more like 3-4 hours, without eating/drinking) and they're not particularly drying. Could I have found a Revlon orange lipstick to experiment with? Probably, but MAC has a better return policy than most drugstores and I find Revlon's lipsticks to be even heavier in formula, which I dislike. I still saved $9 compared to Bobbi Brown's Atomic Orange, right? And while it is quite bright, there are several ways to tone it down. You can apply and blot it. You can apply, and layer a coppery gloss over it (this is actually quite pretty and gives you a shimmery, peachy lip). The possibilities are endless!

What about you? How do you feel about the orange lipstick trend?