Friday, February 3, 2012

The Beauty No-Buy: Update 1

I launched my ban on Jan. 20, and giggled a little bit about the melodrama of it all. As I suspected, the first day was the worst. After that, I made an effort to busy myself with other things. Books, video games, baking, wedding-planning, work - all of those things. I've been meaning to cut down my internet time lately, so this also kind of helps that goal along, as well.
One of S.'s birthday desserts: Guinness chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.



It's only been two weeks, but I haven't bought anything (besides the basic food + rent + utilities, etc)! Not even music, clothes...okay, maybe I bought a Vitamin Water the other day (erm, don't judge me, I was thirsty). Does that count? Things I've been doing so far to cut down on the desire to shop:
  • Going through my own stash to re-discover items. I know I always try to do this, but I'm really making an effort this time. Expect to see some inventory posts, a lot of new EOTD/FOTD type posts, as well as more creative efforts, like this purple eye shadow as blush post I've done in the past.
  • I have a lot of new products that I acquired over the holidays (holiday sales, gifts, etc.) so I've been savoring each one. Expect a lot of reviews and features coming up! Since I don't expect to acquire any new things for a long time, I'm also not rushing through the items I already purchased, which is nice.
  • Started ignoring "sales!" links. If you are simply trying to reduce your number of purchases, it's probably still a good idea to keep track of sales, so that you can pick up anything you might need (or have on your wishlist) when it is on sale. But if you're on a no-buy like me...don't click that link!
  • Stopped reading multiple press releases and promotional posts. There are too many makeup collections in the world, every season, and I just can't keep up.When I see fifty reviews of the "newest-brand-spanking-fill-in-the-blank-here," I just ignore all of them, unless it's something I really intend to buy. So, I realized, I don't need to add to that - I don't need to have THE review of the newest thing. There are so many people who do it so much better than I do, and I enjoy reading those few (namely, Temptalia, Musings of a Muse, Fruity Lashes, and a few others). More than that, though, and it gets excessive. So I'm doing my part. I'm staying out. This doesn't mean that I won't review new things, or that I won't review any products at all - of course not! I'm still a beauty blogger. I'm just saying, I don't need to stay on top of that eternal wave. I'm no surfer.
  • Except I still click on things with "Dior" in the title because I'm weak. But I'm trying to be good about it! For instance, The Beauty Look Book had me lamenting my inability to purchase the Dior Royal Kaki quint, but then I realized that I have Tarina Tarantino's Wonderful palette, which is pretty damn close (review forthcoming). No, they're not exactly the same thing, and Tarina Tarantino is not Dior, but the shades are too similar to warrant owning both. $27 saved!
I know it's not exactly the same as the Dior Royal Kaki quint, but at the end of the day, that's Dior and this is Tarina Tarantino, so they're not going to be exactly the same. The Dior is a little cooler and has matte finishes (which I love), but the shades are similar enough that I really don't need both.
Okay, that's it for me so far. How are you guys doing? Any other tips for me?