Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January Favorites

I cannot believe this month has gone by already. What the heck? Everything is moving so quickly! There were snow days, we got our Save the Dates out, and I procrastinated about everything else. Still, I'd say some things were accomplished, right?

The favorites this month were mostly cold-weather saviors, wintery fragrances, and neutrals. Apparently cold weather makes me boring. I didn't think I was much for wintery scents, but it turns out I am - or at least, for these two. Also, I know you've seen the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream several times now, but I figured if you see it more than twice, you'll know how much I actually do love this thing. I'm for real. It's for real. Solid. Yeaaaaaah.
Solstice Scents Snowshoe Pass
I've already raved about this here, and I have been loving it all month. Not just as pajamas perfume, mind you, although it is deliciously comforting in that way. It's smoky, it's slightly sweet, it's lovely and it's perfect for winter - it makes me feel warm. It's more of a toasty, sit-inside-and-be-cozy scent for me, something to wear while I stare out at the windy, snow-covered landscape outside.

Sweet Anthem Sylvia
This is a sample of the perfume oil that I got in the Winter 2011 sampler pack. This is the other winter perfume I've been using, and it's at the other end of the spectrum from Snowshoe Pass. It's cool, icy - the champagne and the osmanthus and the cedarwood make it subtly sweet and sharp, and it's my snow princess perfume. For crisp, chilly days, for winter.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
This has been the ultimate savior this winter. I use it on elbows, ankles, feet, and of course, on my face. I occasionally use it on my legs - especially after shaving. It helps soothe the irritated, red skin under my nose when I have the sniffles, it has helped soothe and alleviate the itchy undereye bumps I got from using a different product sometime midway through the month, and I use it every now and again all over my face for extra moisture. All this, and I've only worked my way through about 1/3 of the massive jar! Find my review here.

MAC Fresh Honey Mineralize Blush
This is a warm orange with a lovely sheen, and I think it gives a good natural glow to my skin. It's orange, not coral or peach, which I think is why I love it so much, but that may turn others off of it. Find my initial review here.

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Medium
I just picked this up this month and the review is still forthcoming. But I've fallen in love with it. It's lightweight, naturally - but not excessively - glowy, and comfortable to wear. It's enough to even out my skintone, though it's not a heavy coverage powder at all. 
Stila Natural Beauty palette.
Stila Natural Beauty palette
This is an older palette from a year or so ago that I picked up from Ulta. I initially tried it, found it to be mostly too warm, and then dug it out a little while to try again. This time around, I am getting more use out of it, and am actually quite pleased. Stila shadows are notoriously soft and that's true here, but I like that there is a full range of "neutrals" here, rather than just brown. The oranges and the sienna browns are too warm for my taste, but I'm determined to work through this palette. I especially appreciate the mix of matte and shimmer finishes. The shadows aren't too pigmented, but they are noticeably different when applied, and I've been using the center shade on my brows (which I'm awful at doing, by the way. Someone help? :P). It's got shimmer, but they don't show up on my brows - thank goodness. I need a proper brow shade soon, but really, I can't be bothered at the moment. 
Not exactly a beauty item, but I love this thing.

Kindle Touch
I got one for Christmas, and I am so happy with it. Don't get me wrong; I love the weight and feel of actual books, but this is just so darned convenient. I can read multiple novels at once and just have to carry this little thing. The touch mechanism is great; I can touch words I don't know and get a definition for them. The page turning is easy - though once in a while I do accidentally skip ahead a chapter - and it makes reading on the bus a marvelous thing. Or reading while eating; you no longer need to hold open the book, so you can read with one hand! S. has one too (okay, so we bought one for each other) and he also uses his to read the paper in the morning. How awfully grown-up.

Okay, that wraps up the favorites for this month! What were your favorites this month?