Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cold Gold: A Gold Smoky Eye, Redux

[Before we go on with the post, today is S.'s birthday! :) Hurray! Happy birthday to him. We're going our for a fancy brunch at one of our favorite restaurants, and then having some friends over tonight. He does have to cook tonight, but I did make him Guinness chocolate cupcakes to take to work! And will make dessert tonight, too ;) Perhaps, strawberry pie with pastry cream and a glaze?]

A little while go, I wanted to create a smoky eye using Bare Escentuals Kiko, which is a warm, yellow-toned gold. While I was pleased with the way it came out, it didn't look as smoky as I initially wanted. And, inspired by some of the comments I received (which were all very kind, thank you all!), I decided to give the "gold smoky" eye another shot, but this time I used Fyrinnae Polar Bear instead of Kiko; it's a cooler, silver-toned gold, vs. the warm, sunflower Kiko.
Silk Naturals Stick 'Em Eye Shadow Enhancer*
Fyrinnae Polar Bear (gold), Fire Opal (dark coppery brown)
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in Zero (black), Tarte matte black shadow (Jewelry Box)
Tarte shimmery white shade (Jewelry Box)
Buxom mascara

Here's the version with Kiko instead.
Swatched on bare skin, just for reference.
I suppose this is just an exercise in shade comparison - seeing how the effect changes with slightly different shades of the same color.
Chanel Perfection Lumière B20
Stila Natural Beauty palette (brows)
Dior Aurora powder
MAC Harmony blush
Hourglass Aura Sheer Lip Stain in Flush
Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment
I changed up the lip color a little bit, but I felt it was necessary to suit this variation. Which one do you prefer? Neither? Ha. I'm not sure which I like better, or which suits me better. S. picked this version.

*Items marked with a star were sent by the company for evaluation only.