Friday, May 11, 2012

Butter London: The Black Knight

I hemmed and hawed over this one, but in the end, I gave in. It was just too damn pretty not to pick up, and I couldn't think of anything else like it. (Edited: I bought this before the ban!!! I just haven't been able to review it until now, haha).

Come on, look at those sparkles. SPARKLES.

This is my first Butter London polish, and I'm not sure that I understand what all of the hype is about. Yes, they make some interesting colors, and obviously I wanted this one enough to buy it, but...there doesn't seem to be anything stellar about the formula itself. I guess the colors are unique enough to draw a crowd.
Two coats of TBK with Zoya base and top coats. It's not completely opaque - you can still see my nail color, especially on the middle finger - but it's black enough. Plus, with all that glitter, you can't really tell that it's a bit sheer, still.

This one is a glitterbomb, but it was intended to be. It ate my top coat and didn't have that gel-like finish that I've seen on other people - I'm chalking that up to top coat. It's gritty as all get-out and dries hard, so that it eventually starts to chip off rather than just wear down. I think one of my nails chipped after a day or two, but the others held out for three or four days before they really started to look beat up. Not horrible, but not particularly good, either. Here's a blurred shot, so you can see the sparkles.
Pretty, right?

There are a mixture of teal, purple, pink, red and silver glitter particles - at least, that's what it seems like to me - in a black base. I'm not sure how I feel about the mixture, actually, once it's on my nails. Do you remember those Crayola market sets that were packaged by color theme? Where they had "jungle" colors that were, perhaps, forest green and teal and fuchsia and warm purple, versus the "classic colors" like red, blue, yellow, orange, green, violet. I sometimes feel like those colors shouldn't mix ("No! Don't put the jungle green in the classic box!"), and I think that little tic is showing up here. There shouldn't be a red with my teal-fuchsia-silver mix!

On the other hand, I like the idea of just red glitter in a black base. That seems, to me, like The Black Knight of Arthurian legend. I understand, though, that perhaps that is not quite the quality that Butter London is going for; I can appreciate a tongue-in-cheek representation of "The Black Knight" as a glitterfest. I just think I would also like my sinister, black as night polish with red glitter in it. Perhaps I'll see if I can't come up with something.

So, do you need this? Well, that depends. It will take you some elbow grease and the better part of ten minutes to take it all off (I do know about the foil thing, but I'm lazy so I just saturate cotton balls and let them sit on each finger for a while) and I'm not impressed with the wear-time. But it is a pretty unique shade, and I am happy to have it in the arsenal. I imagine playing around with different top and base coats might improve the wear, too, so all in all, I don't regret buying it. I've also seen the nail bloggers post about using different coats and such to make it shinier and more gel-like in finish (here's one from The TraceFace Philes, one from Laura's Lacquers,) though I'm not sure how I feel about needing more products to get an acceptable finish.

Butter London lacquers are $14 at Nordstrom or butterlondon.com. I *think* The Black Knight was a limited edition shade, but I've seen it for a while, so I'm not sure what that really means.