Friday, December 9, 2011

Nails Inc.: The Donmar Collection

When I saw Nails Inc. (nails inc.?) pop up on Sephora's site, I was kind of excited. Flakies! I love flakies, and I didn't own any. I saw reviews of these duos (there are three of them) on Vampy Varnish, and I immediately knew I had to buy one. (Again: flakies!) I chose "The Donmar Collection" because I knew I would be happy wearing Plum Black Chelsea on its own, too.
Erm, excuse the blurry bottle shot. I never actually remember to take these on time.

These are my first Nails Inc. polishes and I was pretty pleased; the base color is opaque in two coats and dried fairly quickly. The top "overglaze"coat is a dazzle-fest, and also dried pretty fast. The brush is nothing to write home about and the big, cylindrical cap is a little awkward to hold, but it gets the job done.
Blurred, to show the green flash.

Oops, I'm a failure of a nail blogger! This is after a few days, already.

I like the combo a lot, but I find that more often than not, the glitter flashes green rather than orange or gold. It's not a bad thing, but it seems like an odd thing to pair with a plum base. I am quite enthusiastic about layering it over greens and blues, though, so we'll see how that goes later on. I think this top coat is going to get a lot of use this holiday season!

However, I do feel that you could just as well buy the new Essie flakie coat or similar other polishes. I guess there aren't a lot on the market, perhaps, so if that's the case - and you also want the base color pairing - go for it. I wanted both the plum polish on its own and the top coat, so this was an easy purchase for me. If you're just interested in the top coat, though, I'd suggest looking for something else.

These overglaze duos are $20 for two bottles, 0.33 oz each.