I broke them down into three categories: "full-strength" (matte, satin, creamy and opaque), "sheer, shiny, glossy" (balms, butters, etc), "metallic" (gold or metallic sheens). All told, I have fifteen red lip things. Glosses, tinted balms, stains, lipsticks = fifteen. Thus starts my red lipstick ban. No more! Not until one of them gets used up, or Dennison eats one, or something (I hope that doesn't happen. No lipsticks for the fluffyhead!).
Full strength: creamy, opaque, satin/matte finishes.
|Top to bottom: NARS Mascate, MAC Runaway Red, Marcelle Amour**, Bite Beauty Pomegranate, Revlon Fire and Ice|
|Same photo, lightened slightly; no labels.|
|L-R: Darling Girl Cosmetics Raining Blood, MAC Can't Resist, Clinique Cranberry Cream, Darling Girl Cosmetics Holly Jolly, Dior 850 Red Serum, Tarte Enchanted, MAC Hot Tahiti|
Metallic: Gold sheen, or super metallic finish.
|L-R: Lise Watier Grenadine**, Rouge Dior Nocturne, Belle de Nuit|
The complete list, with little blurbs:
- Tarte Lip Stain in Enchanted: a berry red stain. I don't like these much, even though I have two; I find them drying (not moisturizing!) and they smell like mint crayons. Blech. The color does last, though.
- Dior Sérum de Rouge in 850 Red Serum: Glossy, comfortable (a little slippery), beautiful. Lighter in shade, pulls slightly coral.
- Rouge Diors in Belle de Nuit, Nocturne: The Rouge Dior formula is hands down my favorite for lipsticks. These are gorgeous and totally need to be purchased, now. They're LE!
- Revlon Fire and Ice: I'm not a fan of this formula - too heavy and creamy for me - and this is an attention-getter. It pulls red-orange on me, but I've seen it pull blue-pink on others.
- Lise Watier Rouge Gourmand in Grenadine**: The color is beautiful but probably best reserved for nights out; it also has a really sweet, synthetic smell that I'm not particularly keen on.
- Marcelle Rouge Xpression Lipstick in Amour (cream)**: tends to feather and bleed and is slightly drying, but it has great staying power, and is fabulous for a drugstore brand.
- MAC Runaway Red (satin), Hot Tahiti (glaze), Can't Resist (Sheen Supreme): Hot Tahiti is a comfortable-wearing glaze that's quite sheer; Runaway Red was limited edition and a satin finish - very red. Looks dark in hand and arm swatches, but lightens up on the lips. Can't Resist is a tad sticky.
- Clinique Colour Surge Butter Shine in Cranberry Cream: Darker red; glossy, comfortable but slippery on the lips
- NARS Pure Matte lipstick in Mascate: Dark red, softly matte.
- Bite Beauty High Pigment Matte Pencil in Pomegranate: Very, very pigmented red.
- Darling Girl Cosmetics Holly Jolly Kiss You Off Color Rich Balm, Raining Blood Holo-gloss: Not a huge fan of the gloss, but I love DGC balms. Review for this one coming shortly.
My recs for specific qualities:
A show-stopper: Bite Beauty Pomegranate
Sophisticated matte: NARS Mascate
Fun, cheery, summery: Dior Red Serum
Gateway red: MAC Hot Tahiti
The ones I turn to the most? MAC Hot Tahiti, NARS Mascate, all three Diors.
Okay! If you stuck around through that monster of a post, three cheers for you! Now, even though I just put myself on a red lipstick ban, I have to know: what's your favorite red? Will you be scooping up any of these?