Friday, November 18, 2011

NARS Albatross Has Almost Converted Me...

...into a gloss girl.  Almost.  I think I'd have to buy another NARS lipgloss to test my newfound affection for lipgloss, wouldn't you say? (Although I hear the other ones smell funny).

I've been impressed by NARS lip products lately (okay, so I only own two, but that's still two for two).  I'll lay it all out for you here: Albatross is a sheer white-gold gloss; it is really thick and sticky and tacky and comes with a doe foot applicator.  I could not detect a smell or taste, which I very much appreciate.
Since it is such a sticky formula, be careful pulling the wand out. It flies out if you tug too hard (and it takes some force because of the suction), and a long trail of gloss flies out with it. Ease it out as slowly as possible to prevent making obscene messes. I speak from experience.

Strangely enough, I don't mind the thick and sticky.  It freaks me out slightly, in that it feels like my lips almost stick together permanently when they touch (like when you put glue or something tacky on your fingers and touch them together). It's not exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, but it makes the color sink into my lips and it kind of feels like a glove, if you know what I mean.  Sorry, that description isn't very apt, is it?  Let me try again.  The gloss feels like it actually sinks into your lips and imparts lasting color, rather than sitting on top of your lips and rubbing off in five seconds, or gunking up because it's just sitting there in a huge gob.  You can still feel it there, though.  I kind of feel the same way about NARS Mascate, actually, even though they are vastly different products; that lipstick just smoothes into your lips and you don't feel like you're wearing a color - you now possess that color.  Or something.

Wear time is about 2.5 hours before you can't feel or see it any more, but in my opinion, it looks as good at the end as it does when you first apply it. I know that sticky/tacky consistency is responsible for this, which is possibly why I tolerate it this time around. It does get annoying - especially when I want to rub it all off and it just staaayyssssssss, but then, if you want something to last (even through coffee!), this would be it.
Freshly applied; you can see all the delicate bits of gold sparkle.
After two hours of wear. Still there! Still glossy!
It's a beautiful, beautiful shimmery white-gold color that gives me a nice, classy natural look.  I do have a MLBB lipstick, but this is a nice variation - softer, less opaque, not as peach/pink.  It's like it really does highlight my natural lip color.  I was surprised by how much I love this. I actually doubt I'll be running out to buy any more gloss any time soon, but it's good to have one, right?
It's the perfect glossy, MLBB lip!
Chanel Perfection Lumière 20 Beige
Dior Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder in
Aurora
MAC Harmony blush
UDPP Greed, Stila Kitten, Diamond Lil'
Sephora Long-Lasting liner in Black, Fancy Blue, UD Perversion (double liner look here)
Click for a larger, squinting-not-required version.

Try it if: You are looking for a staple, natural-but-with-kicks lip gloss.
Skip it if: You don't want a heavy, sticky gloss, and prefer gloss with more pigmentation or stronger colors.

$24 for 0.28 oz, at Sephora, Nordstrom, or narscosmetics.com