Monday, November 14, 2011

Lipstick Bandit PSA

Get your fall lipstick on.  Seriously. Bust them out. Now's the time.  That is our PSA.

In the spirit of Lipstick Bandit-ness, we've decided to bring you a slew of posts featuring our favorite fall lipsticks.  These posts all went live today, so you should check them all out - someone's bound to have something you'll like. The Lipstick Bandits are:
(confused? See my original Lipstick Bandit post here)

The links are to their "lipstick fall favorite" posts, so go go go! Check them all out! I'm excited to see what everyone else chose, as well.

What did I pick? Let's see.

When I decided that I needed to have a fresh new lipstick for fall, I went on the hunt and tried on a bunch of them, including Rouge Dior Hypnotic Red and NARS Pure Matte Volga and Terre de Feu.  I've been loving matte lips this fall - they're bold without being too overwhelming, and the matte finish gives lips a soft, out-of-focus feel that make them less intense. NARS Mascate is a beautiful example. So, I started with more NARS Pure Matte lipsticks, but I found that the darker matte colors don't have the vivacity and sophistication of the brighter, red Mascate. At least, not on me. The matte finish makes them a bit dull. So I moved to Dior, but the only contender there, Hypnotic Red, was a touch too purple and didn't really wow me.
Ta-da! YSL Rouge Volupté in Forbidden Burgundy. It is the most beautiful dark fuchsia color. A brilliant berry, if you will. It has a glossy finish, and the formula is so smooth - it glides on!


So I went to YSL, which I was trying not to do. Yes, a Rouge Volupté is only $2 more than a Rouge Dior, but it's a matter of principle. My cap for lipsticks is getting higher and higher. Eek.

But it's freaking YSL! Look at the gorgeous packaging! I will say that it faintly annoys me that only the top barrel twists, which seems like a very small place to grasp. Also, the fact that the lipstick formula is so smooth and creamy means that it does feather. So line your lips with a lip liner. And...that's the end of my list of cons. Because this one is damn beautiful.
This is without liner, because I'm lazy. It's still not so bad in terms of feathering, but if you want really precise application, go with a liner.  
See? Fuchsia, almost-vampy goodness! The formula is very wet - quite moisturizing, actually, and comfortable on the lips, if a bit slippery. Also, it smells like mango. That seems like an odd scent choice, to me, but it's not unpleasant, and really kind of reminiscent of my childhood. It's not overly sweet or synthetic smelling, so it's tolerable.

And, bonus! I've decided...it may be time to tackle those FOTDS. I really like to see a full face shot when I look at lipstick reviews and swatches, so...maybe you will too. And I'm in good company, right? *nudges fellow Lipstick Bandits*
I currently hate my hair. It is being cut off in a few weeks.
Okay. That's enough of that. I'll have an EOTD with the eye makeup from this post tomorrow. (Or will I? I'm really kind of terrified just typing this post out, to be honest.) But back to the important thing - if you're looking for a luscious berry color, go pick this one up!

YSL Rouge Voluptés are $34 for 0.12 oz at counters or Sephora.

Ingredients (active): octinoxate (ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate), avobenzone (butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane)
(other): pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, butyl stearate, butyloctyl salicylate, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, polyethylene, hydrogenated vegetable oil, dimethicone, titanium dioxide, cera microcristallina (microcrystalline wax), cera alba (beeswax), dimethicone crosspolymer, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil extract, silica dimethyl silylate, stearyl stearate, ethylhexyl palmitate, caprylyl glycol, tocopheryl acetate, oryzanol, ammonium glycyrrihizate, parfum (fragrance), behenic acid, paraffin, glyceryl stearate, lecithin, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, butylene glycol, rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) extract, phenoxyethanol, hexylene glycol, sodium myaluronate, citric acid, limonene
[+/-]: CI 77491 (iron oxide), CI 15850 (red 7), CI 15850 (red 6), CI 45410 (red 28 lake), CI 77499 (iron oxide), CI 77492 (iron oxide), CI 42090 (blue 1 lake), CI 17200 (red 33 lake), CI 73360 (red 30), CI 75450 (carmine), CI 12085 (red 36), CI 15985 (yellow 6 lake), CI 19140 (yellow 5 lake), CI 77019 (mica), CI 77742 (manganese violet), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), calcium sodium borosilicate, CI 77002 (aluminum hydroxide), silica, synthetic fluorphlogopite, talc