Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dior Silver Lake + Comparisons

First of all, I know he doesn't read my blog, but thank you, S.!

We have a funny story, which I tweeted about at the time. I was reading Makeup Magpie's post about Dior Silver Lake, and S. walked by as I was ogling (quietly!) the bottle shot, and he said, "Ooh, you should buy that, it's a nice color!"
This would catch your eye, too, right?
I was a little confused at that point. I told him (distractedly, as I was still reading) that it was limited edition and only available on Dior.com so I probably wasn't going to be able to get my hands on it. And I moved on with my life.

Later on that afternoon, though, S. casually said, "You'll want to get a blog post ready, that Dior polish is coming in, erm, 5-9 business days." Eeeeeee!
Two coats of Dior Silver Lake over Zoya base coat, under Zoya top coat. It looks different on each nail, depending on the light and the blurred aspect, doesn't it? It's very complex - I love it!
So here it is. It is a dark silver-black color with intense foiled shimmer. The shimmer is mostly silver, but there are also green flecks in it, so in some lights, green sparkles catch your eye. The formula is the same trustworthy Dior formula with the flat brush, and it applies beautifully. Love.
L-R: Zoya Trixie, Dior Silver Lake, Sinful Colors Secret Admirer
It's already been compared to Chanel Graphite by The Beauty Look Book and of course, there is the post that started it all (I suppose I should be thanking Makeup Magpie!). I don't own a whole lot of high end polishes, but I thought I'd do a small comparison, just to show where it falls in the color range. Here it is with Zoya Trixie (silver) and Sinful Colors Secret Admirer (black with intense silver shimmer).
Ah haha, Dennison as backdrop! He fit the color scheme. L-R: Zoya Trixie, Dior Silver Lake, Sinful Colors Secret Admirer.
With flash.
SC Secret Admirer is probably the closest I could come up with, but you can see that it has a true black base, while Silver Lake has a gunmetal base. Trixie is a lighter, truer silver, but I figured these were good just to gauge the contrast in shade between the three. They all sparkle quite a bit (and they all actually have a foiled sort of base - Trixie doesn't seem like it does, but you can see it when you try to remove it) and they are all lovely. In all honesty, though, while going through daily activities, I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell the difference between Secret Admirer and Silver Lake; they're both dark and sparkly in the same sort of way. Which means that this latest exclusive offering from Dior isn't exactly the most unique thing, but I actually prefer it because of its metallic, lighter base, versus Secret Admirer's black cream base. It's certainly not a must-have, but I'm happy with it, and I think it will get a lot of wear during the festive holiday season.

Dior Silver Lake is $22, exclusively on Dior.com