Sunday, November 20, 2011

Channeling My Inner Reductionista

Inspired by Liz, of course.  She is a rock star, and actually makes an attempt to use up her stash.  Her empties posts are awe-inducing ;)  So I'm giving it a shot.  I had to hoard empty bottles and containers. S. thought I was seriously losing it ("Why are you collecting...empty things?"). Never mind him.

I'm doing an empties/misses/things-I-just-got-tired-of-and-tossed-out-because-I-was-never-going-to-touch-them-again-so-why-keep-them post.  I'm pretty ruthless about cleaning, and once things hit the trash can, there are no regrets, baby.  What can I say?  I don't like clutter.  Thankfully, it seems like you run out of things all at once (which is a pain for your wallet, I must say), so I didn't have to hoard random empties for too long.

Sorry, the photos aren't in any sort of logical order. It's because I'm crazy. Now you know.


Empties

Boscia Make-up Break-up Cool Cleansing Oil (original review here)
It always feels like such an accomplishment when you finish something!  This was a good one, and I liked it, but you know how it goes - beauty blogger and all. I have a Clinique cleaner waiting to get some love.  This one does a good job of breaking up all of my base makeup, though I do use a separate eye makeup remover, just because I like to be thorough. It feels good on my skin - I like how it kind of cushions your skin, so you don't feel like you're scrubbing away or rubbing too hard.  I will go back to this if the Clinique doesn't impress.

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap, oily skin formula (not pictured)
This is a staple.  I figured I'd just throw it in there because it makes me feel better (lookit all the stuff I finished, ma!), and to satisfy any curiosities about what soap I use. This one. (Yeah, I know, like anyone really cared. Humor me, will you?) I have a back-up already. I've been using this formula for the better part of eight or so years now, I'd say, and I like it.  It's not groundbreaking or anything, but you know, it's soap.

Origins Well Off Eye Makeup Remover (original review here)
I went through this in about six months, I think; I'm not sure how long it usually takes me to finish a bottle, but then, I've done some crazy EOTDS lately that required a fair bit of remover. Like I said in the review, I like it, but I don't love it. I have a Sephora version that I'm going to try now.

Clinique Moisturizing Gel
Another staple.  Lightweight but moisturizing, fragrance-free, not oily, all that good stuff.  Already on another bottle.  I have no idea how many of these I've purchased, but they do last a long time.  And it has a pump!

Haus of Gloi Imp Sugar Exfoliating Scrub
Got this from Ki as part of her giveaway long ago; it smells yummy (quite fruity) and it's nice and scrubby.  I used it for the backs of my arms and parts of my feet in the shower.  A little goes a long way. However, I'm not a fan of jars in the shower. They're hard to open once you're wet, and then you get wet fingers in them, as well. I suppose one should scoop some out before jumping in to the shower, but really, when it's freezing out, who is going to do that? Anyway. I'm glad I had the chance to try out a Haus of Gloi product; their perfume oils have been on my wishlist forever and I need to go take care of that at some point.

Urban Decay Primer Potion sample in Greed
I've been using UDPP for years now, and I'm glad they came out with two paraben-free formulas so I didn't have to hunt for a new one. I have a full bottle of Eden (well, it's not not full any more, but it's full-sized) but received a sample of Greed as one of my Sephora 100 point perks a while back. It's just about empty now so I'm tossing it - I'm not all about slicing into these tubes or whatever. In general, I think I like Greed a little better than Eden - it seemed to have a slightly thinner formula, but its staying power was the same. Of course, Eden does dry down to a lovely matte shade that's about the same color as my skin, so it's not like it's bad by any means. I don't need two of these kicking around, though, so I'm glad I finished this one.

Misses
Burberry Body
I got a sample of this in the mail via their Facebook campaign.  Rosie's gorgeous, of course, but this is definitely not my kind of smell.  I gave it a couple of day-long tries, and nope. That synthetic peach smell gives me a headache, and I'm definitely not a fan. The peach comes on strong in the beginning, and then...stays. I don't get the mellow, soft, sweet dry-down that others seem to enjoy - just awful fruit all the way.  And it lasted all day (which of course is a plus if you like this one!).  Pass!  Fragrance is highly subjective though, so perhaps you like it?

Ellie Saab Le Parfum
Received a sample with a Nordstrom order. To me, this one is shockingly medicinal.  Supposedly has notes of orange blossom, jasmine, patchouli, rose, cedar wood, but my unsophisticated nose doesn't get any of that. Pass!

Kicking to the Curb

Bliss Fabulous Every Day Eye Cream (original review here)
It was good for a while, and I used a good 3/4 of the tube, I'd say.  But it just didn't capture my heart.  I tried another eye gel for a while (I got a sample at Nordstrom while picking up some other goodies) and  I noticed a slight difference - less bumpies under my eyes, and an overall fresher appearance. Plus, the new one sunk in to my skin a lot better.  No reason to keep using this, and I feel like I gave it a fair shot.  It's mostly gone, anyway.

Boscia Enlivening Amino-AG Eye Treatment (original review here)
The little sample tube I received was maybe 1/3 full, but like I said above, a new eye gel is in town.  This one was okay, though I did notice after more frequent use that it tended to sting my eyes - and no, I wasn't putting it in my eyes or even very close.  I think it just traveled around the area. Nothing particularly bad, nothing particularly stellar.

Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion with Soothing Oatmeal
(original review here)
I finally gave up on this, bought the other Aveeno one I actually like, and sneakily put this on S's dresser.  He occasionally asks for lotion for his hands or knees if the weather gets really cold and dry, so I figured I'd see if he minded the texture of this one.  He hasn't said anything about it yet, but sometimes it's hard to tell whether he hasn't noticed, or just doesn't care.  Men.


Okay - what have you emptied lately? It's such a feeling of accomplishment, isn't it? The sad thing is, I don't think you'll be seeing any color cosmetics up here any time soon! Skincare is so much easier to go through. I can't use the same eye shadow or lipstick or blush often enough to turn them into empties!