Friday, October 28, 2011

Foodie Friday! #5: Foodie Favorites - The Sweet List

I posted a list of some of our favorite savory recipes a little while ago, and today I have a list of our favorite dessert recipes!  Most of these appear on my baking blog, but I'm linking you to the original blog post - not mine.  Except for the bread recipe, because I couldn't find that online.

Butterscotch Bourbon Pudding, from David Lebovitz
Amazing amazing amazing.  That is all.  If you don't like bourbon, skip it, but it really does make the pudding complex and adds depth.  I like butterscotch.  I like pudding.  Win!

Mint Brownies, from Gramma's Cookin'
If you can find them, use mint chips instead of Andes mints - the stronger mint flavor adds more contrast.  I don't actually like chocolate, but S. loves these, as do his coworkers and boss.  Plus, that mint + chocolate combo seems to be timeless.

Blood Orange Bars, from Slush
I made these into wedges (baked in a round cake pan) when I made them, but the shape doesn't matter - they're delicious either way.  Blood orange flavors work nicely in baked goods, I find - and in drinks.  I don't actually like blood oranges by themselves too much.
Ginger pear bread, wrapped up for delivery to a friend who had just had a baby.

Ginger and Pear Bread, from Baker by Night
This is a quick bread (which you can also make into muffins!) that has chunks of pear and lots of fresh ginger in it.  It is fantastic, and you need to make it.

White Sandwich Bread, from Abigail Dodge
I make bread every week, and this is the recipe I've been using lately.  The ones in the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day are good, too, but I like to switch it up every now and then.  Dodge's recipe is just as easy, and very tasty.  You can sub out half of the flour for whole wheat, though you'll need to add a little extra water and sugar to compensate.

Coconut and Lime Cookies, from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
I've posted about these before, but they are that good, and I'm not even a cookie girl.  They're lightly crisp on the outsides and chewy on the inside, scented with lime and flavored with coconut.  These were super popular with our friends, and I'll be making them over and over again.

Crisp, Salted White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, from Smitten Kitchen
A mouthful of a name, but so freaking worth it.  I eat white chocolate once in a while because it's less offensive to my taste buds (it's fake chocolate, after all) and these cookies are amazing.  You need the salt - it's crucial.  It balances the flavors, cutting the sweetness of the white chocolate.  The oats add a hearty crispness, and S. and I both love these.

Iced Pumpkin Scones, from The Shoebox Kitchen
Hands down my favorite kind of scone.  The icing is a bit indulgent (this was a Seattle snow day last year - they're rare and the whole city shuts down, so we were on a little holiday) but you can skip it - the scone is still plenty delicious without it.

Okay.  Now I'm hungry.  This needs to end.  Hope I've tickled your sweet tooth! :D