Friday, October 14, 2011

Foodie Friday! #4: A Few Favorite Recipes

Two weeks ago, in Foodie Friday #3, I shared a few of my favorite food blogs with you, and this week I'm sharing some of our favorite recipes!  Most of these are savory recipes; I keep track of my favorite sweets and baked goods on my baking blog.

Our favorite recipes are usually easy, delicious, and contain not so many ingredients.  I'm just listing a few here, with links to the blogs they came from.  We don't have any eating restrictions, generally, though we only eat meat a couple times a week.  Our meals are usually structured around one main dish, usually with a side salad or some fruit, or sometimes grains instead.  We like variety.  We also do aim for healthier meals, so while some meals may be extravagant, they are usually balanced out with a few more that are sparser in the calories/fat content later in the week.

Proteins
Asian Baked Crispy Chicken Wings.  A pile of them.  That's right.


Asian Baked Crispy Chicken Wings, from Korean American Mommy
These are SO good.  We've made them multiple times since I discovered this recipe.  They do take a little bit of extra work, but it's so worth it.  They have a spicy, sweet and sour flavor, and they really are crisp.  I'm not a fan of messy foods (and prefer not to touch my food with my hands, if I can help it), but I'll throw that out the window for these.  S. is also a huge fan.

Baked Chicken and Dumplings, from Mangio da Sola
I'm not a Southern girl, but there's something so comforting about Southern food.  It's not usually very healthy, though, so we don't do it that often.  This is a simplified version of the Southern classic, and it's worth trying.

Spicy Korean Pork, from AllRecipes
This needs to marinate overnight, but it's so worth it.  S. followed this recipe and it tasted almost exactly like the kind my Korean mother cooks up.  If you like Korean food, or spicy food, you need to make this one.

Eggs & Zucchini Breakfast, from Shoots and Roots
Even though eggs are traditionally thought of as a breakfast food, we frequently incorporate them into our dinner time meals.  They're easy to cook up, filling, and suit a number of different veggies.  This one is simple, and features herbs and summer zucchini.  If you can't find fresh herbs, just use dried.  Gasp!  I know.  We double this recipe for the two of us.

Fennel Roasted Pork Tenderloin, from A Chow Life
I like fennel.  It's showcased here with yummy, juicy pork.  Plus, it's always nice to let your oven do the cooking!

Sweet and Spicy Salmon, from Living Lou
We like salmon.  I find that it's less fishy smelling than a lot of white fish, so even those who usually stay away from fish tend to tolerate salmon.  I love spicy food (and S. is getting there), so the addition of Sriracha here is very welcome.

Veggie Dishes


Herbed Spaghetti Squash, from Emril Lagasse: Spaghetti squash is awesome.  This one is fairly simple, and I was surprised by how yummy spaghetti squash is!  It's also very, very cool, all stringy and stuff.  Hence the name, I know.

Basic Pizza Dough, from Giada De Laurentiis: This is S.'s go-to pizza dough recipe.  He hasn't played too much with whole wheat variations yet, though I know it's on his to-do list.  This one is fool-proof and tasty, though, and you can change it up - crispy or chewy - depending on how you prepare it.  Maybe I can get S. to write a post on pizza making (yeah, right).

Creamed Swiss Chard, from Plangarden
I'm not generally a fan of creamed dishes, but this one was pretty yummy, especially with all the garlic. I like garlic.

Roasted Roma Tomatoes, from Allrecipes
Yummy.  I'm not big on cheese, either, but feta's okay once in a while.  This is a beautiful combination and is especially yummy in the summer time when tomatoes are at their prime.

Classic Broccoli and Cheddar Soup, from Behind the Skillet
I like soup.  A lot.  This is a good one for all of that broccoli that just keeps on coming during the early spring.  Cheese in soup form is generally okay, and this is such a great one for rainy Seattle days.  Served with rustic bread and a salad - divine.

Okie dokie, there's a fair selection!  Your turn!  What are some of your favorite recipes?