Friday, October 21, 2011

Chanel Perfection Lumière Foundation

When I read that Chanel's latest foundation, Perfection Lumière, was paraben-free, I was ecstatic.  I have never loved a foundation as much as Chanel's now-discontinued Teint Innocence Fluid, and when I was told that I had to stop using products with parabens...well, it wasn't pretty.
Full size on the left, sample on the right.  The sample is ridiculously cute and very convenient, way more sanitary than pumping some out of a display bottle for you.

I have quite a few liquid foundations right now (Guerlain, YSL, Bobbi Brown, and Dior's tinted moisturizer), but this is hands down my favorite.  Perfection Lumière is supposed to be a "long-wear flawless fluid" base with SPF 10; the description on the Chanel site says that it is "Effortless to aply, with seamless blendability for a naturally flawless effect, this breakthrough foundation is the ideal all-day, everyday formula - suitable for all skin types in a diverse range of 20 shades" (taken from Chanel.com).

Do I think it meets those claims?  Well, I can't speak for the "all skin types" bit, as I can only tell you how it wears on my skin (combination, dry in the winter, and fairly well-behaved), and I don't really know if 20 shades is really that many, but at least they made an effort.  My match is Beige 20, and it is perfect; for reference, I wear Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau in 02 Beige Clair, YSL Teint Radiance in 04 Sand, Dior Skin Hydra Life Pro-Youth Skin Tint in 1 Natural, Bobbi Brown Natural Finish in 4.25 Natural Tan, and Tarte Smooth Operator in 06 (I really should put this down somewhere - oh wait, I did!  Haha).  I do find that it lasts all day - in this moderate fall weather, at least - and it gives my face a beautiful, soft finish.  I do hesitate to use the word "flawless," but it really is appropriate - Perfection Lumière evens my skin out and gives it an overall flawless look that still manages to look natural.  I look like I have beautiful skin.  It is fabulous.
The formula is lightweight and I don't even feel it; it blends easily into my skin when I apply it and doesn't cake up anywhere.  I use my fingers, but I think I may try using my Eco Tools Finishing Kabuki, as well.  It gives me a beautiful finish that's not quite matte but not dewy, and I love it.  It is almost powdery, but in the best possible way.  The foundation does have a light scent upon application, but it's not bothersome (and I am very picky about my scents), and everything about this is just love.

I have also gotten a lot of compliments on it!  Which always makes me giggle, you know, because when you compliment someone's foundation, are you saying that their skin is beautiful, or that the foundation does a really good job of covering up their skin?  Oh, don't worry, I'm still appropriately flattered and not at all ungracious (although I'm usually taken off guard, so all I can manage is an awkward "Eep!  Oh!  Yes.  Um.  Thank you!"), but when you think about it, it's kind of funny.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a new liquid foundation, I'd give this one a shot!  They have cute samples for you, too, so you don't have to dive right in to a $55 foundation.  I am also going to try to swatch all of my liquid foundations on my arm to compare color and finish, so be on the lookout for that post, coming up soon.

Try it if: You are looking for a soft, powdery finish with a very subtle glow, something that looks like natural skin - just flawless.
Skip it if: You want heavier coverage or a dewy finish.  If you have a lot of dark spots and scars, I don't think this will be enough to cover everything up.

$55 for 1 fl oz at Chanel counters or on Chanel.com.