Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cartoon EOTD: Zipper

image source: comicvine.com
Zipper is downright flipping adorable.  For a fly, I mean.  But c'mon.  Put big googly eyes on anything, and it'll probably be adorable.

Also, some of you are probably too young for this one.  If that's true, please don't tell me.  I'm almost a quarter of a century old and I'm cranky about it.  I feel there's probably some sort of sick irony in all of that, but I don't want to hear about that, either.

Let's talk Zipper!  He's from the Rescue Rangers, which starred Chip and Dale.  If you don't know who they are, I can't help you (my, I'm awfully cranky today, aren't I?).
image source: tvropes.org
They run a detective agency, all of them - Dale, Gadget, Chip, Zipper, and Monterey Jack.  This was seriously one of my favorite cartoon as a kid, and if it were still on, I'd be all over it.  The theme song was so catchy - I can still sing parts of it (trust me, you don't want to hear that).

Okay, enough waxing nostalgic.  Here's the look.  I was trying to go for a shimmery sheen, like a fly's wings.  And teal blue, because Zipper is blue (and because Laura requested it!  Never say I don't listen!).
Shiro Cosmetics Emanicipation Grid (gorgeous, sparkly, icy blue), Butterfree (shimmery lavender), Antoinette's Revolution Cosmetics le Fontaine (silver with sparkles)
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on liner in
Gunmetal (silver), Flipside (teal)

Erm, so yeah, those are supposed to be fly wings!  Except when you look at my eyes like this, it looks like a fish.  Or a whale.  Oops.  All in all, I'm not really pleased with this look, but Zipper is so cute, I had to feature him.


I was trying to give the wings that gauzy, gossamer effect, but that's um, hard.  
Emancipation Grid is a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous color.  I need to use this one more often.  That is one of the great things about doing this series; I need to pull out all kinds of colors, and I am forced to shop my stash, as they say.  I foiled the colors in this look with a wet brush - it really does bring out the strength of colors!  I was completely amazed.  And I thought, "Why don't I do this more often?"  

Oh right.  Because I'm lazy and I don't like to use more than one brush, and if my brush is wet, I'll need another one.  Plus dipping a wet brush into a pot of shadow just makes me feel kind of icky, and I don't always have time to tap some out on a paper towel or whatever.

Okay, go check out Tracy's look!  Also, if you have any cartoon character ideas, let me know!