Monday, August 1, 2011

July Favorites


First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, $28 for 6 oz at Sephora (not pictured)

I don't know what the heck was going on my usually well-behaved skin, but it was freaking out; I had some redness and itchy bumps and dry patches.  I remembered that I had a sample pouch of the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, so I decided to try that.  I was a little hesitant at first, because it seemed really thick, but it is lovely and smooth and creamy and absorbs very quickly, without any sort of odor or oily finish.  It's amazing.  The itchiness went away, and my skin felt soothed.  I've been using up the sample, but I plan on buying a full version and keeping it around - I think it will be even more amazing in the winter, when my skin tends to dry out and become patchy.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder SPF 10 in 2N1 Desert Beige, $34 at Nordstrom. 

It got hot and I switched to powder foundations, as I like to do in the summer.  This provides light coverage that works better on good skin days, but since I try not to pack on makeup in the summer, it usually works out that way anyhow (the First Aid cream helped!).  I use my EcoTools retractable kabuki (review here) to buff it out nicely, and it wears most of the day.  It leaves a nice flawless finish that I love, though it won't disguise any really dark spots or blemishes.

Dior Sérum de Rouge in 850 Rouge Serum, $32 for 0.07 oz at Sephora, Nordstrom, Dior (review here).

I love this.  I originally said it looked too coral, but when I wore it the next few times - boom.  True red.  It's smooth, emollient, and lovely.  Date night va-va voom lipstick, for sure!  I've worn it a number of times this month (which is saying something, for me - I rarely wear lipstick, even though I've been buying it like they're not making the stuff any more!) and I always feel so bold when I wear it.  S. thinks it's pretty, too, which is a bonus!  (omg, did you ever think a lipstick would appear in my favorites list?)

China Rain perfume oil, from Scent by the Sea.  ($10 for a 1/8 oz. bottle; I've been using my sample up - review here.)

My sample vial is 5/8 of a dram (which is 1/8 oz); I used it nearly every day in July, and I *just* ran out.  I am ordering another bottle.  It's a light, delicate, slightly fruity scent, that still manages to be clean and not cloying.  Perfect for summer!  I really like it.

Stila Shadows in Kitten, Diamond Lil, $18 each (0.09 oz) at Sephora.

This is a little embarrassing, but my Diamond Lil used to be in the third spot in the palette.  However, I used to ferry back and forth from S.'s place and mine, and Stila shadows are notoriously soft and crumbly, so...yeah.  I transferred it to an empty Clinique jar and it works fine as a loose shadow.  Anyhow.  Kitten is their iconic shade, and Diamond Lil is a beautiful smoky gray.  This my go-to combo for a neutral eye: Kitten on the lid, and Diamond Lil on the outer crease.  A little unorthodox, maybe, but it works.  Especially with black liquid liner that's smudged out with Urban Decay's Glide-on Eye Pencil in Gunmetal.  Since I've been playing around with bold lips, lately, this is a nice eye look to fall back on time and time again. (You can also see an EOTD of this color combo - albeit with bright blue liner - here).

Well, that's been my month!  What were your favorites?  Please link your post or let me know in the comments!