Monday, August 8, 2011

Darling Girl Cosmetics Part III: Glitter Glue

This post has taken a while - I've been playing around with it, and I was extraordinarily busy when it arrived, so it also sat on the back burner for a while.  My original review of DGC is here; my review of the lip products I ordered is here.

I saw a lot of reviews for this - and comparisons to Pixie Epoxy (which I will prolly never order because the turn around time is just too long for me and my impatience) - which piqued my interest.  At $6.75 for a tube, I figured, why not?  The product description says that it is meant to "hold the sparkliest of sparkles in place and can even be used to apply loose glitter to your eyes.  An additional benefit is using it all over the lid as a foiling medium."  In sum, Glitter Glue is supposed to: "make eye shadows more vibrant, keep shimmer and glitter in place, bring out the dimension and duochrome effect in your eye shadows" (from the DGC ecrater site).

So, I decided to try this in an attempt to see if it stood up to these three claims.
Comes in a slim tube, with the ingredients printed on the label.
Has a tip like this; you squeeze and product oozes out.  I found the tube slightly hard to squeeze, and it's a little difficult to control how much product comes out.  I can't think of a better way to package this kind of product, though, as it is quite fluid.
The texture reminds me of Elmer's Glue - it's fluid and thin, not thick and pasty like most eye primers.  I like that the ingredients are printed on the label, but I think it may also be helpful to have some tips, as well.  I had to go back to the DG site to read how it's most effectively used.  This may seem like common sense, but I was curious: over primer?  Under primer?  In lieu of?  How much do I need, and how long does it have to dry?  Just a basic bullet set of instructions might be helpful, for those of us who need a little guidance.  Anyway.  Here are the swatches I did, to test it out.
"GG" is the glitter glue layered over UDPP Eden (left), UDPP Greed (middle), and on its own (right).  The accompanying swatches in each panel are just primer alone, or, in the last panel, just eye shadow.  The shade is Hades, from DG Cosmetics.  I received a sample with my original purchase.

You can see from the swatches above that the glitter glue does bring out the shadow's vibrancy, even compared to Urban Decay primers.  The primers themselves do bring out a stronger color than just the shadow dry.  The glitter glue also makes the shadows look foiled; I should have done a wet swatch to compare, but it didn't occur to me at the time.  I will mention that I thought I let the glitter glue dry down before applying shadow, but you can see that it did gunk up a little in some of the swatches, so I'd be sure to let the glitter glue dry down completely - several minutes - before applying shadow, to prevent it from pilling up like that.  Even when it dries, though, it's pretty tacky.  The glitter glue does also bring out more of a shift in the color (Hades has a faintly greenish tinge to it), which is really nice.  Here's a second set of swatches, with different colors.
Clockwise from top left: Shiro Cosmetics Gyrados (blue with sparkles), Bare Escentuals Envy (green with purple duochrome), Shiro Cosmetics Ganondorf (dark reddish brown with red sparkles), Shiro Cosmetics Thinking With Portals (orange with blue sparkles).
It's fairly obvious which swatches are over glitter glue, and which are swatched dry (no primer or anything else).  The stark difference between the two is rather impressive.  Again, my glue swatches aren't quite dry - it's pretty obvious that there are wet spots there.  I tried to use different shadows that weren't DG brand, as well as shadows with different effects.  The glitter didn't rub off, and it seemed to do what it was supposed to do - in the swatches, at least.

I couldn't test it on my eyes, though.  You see, when I swatched these on my arm and my hands, it burned.  It didn't leave any sort of rash or redness, but there was definitely an uncomfortable sensation where the swatches were.  I also just put some glitter glue on my hand and left it there for a while, just to see what happened; after a few hours, there was no noticeable redness, but it did tingle and burn slightly.  Seeing as my eyelid skin would be much more sensitive, I really just didn't want to chance it.  That, however, is no fault of Susan's - just me and my ridiculous skin.  If you want more reviews from normal people who could actually wear it (I know it's sometimes hard to find indie reviews), here's Peace, Love and Sparkles' review; here's Mng's review.  They are both very thorough!

That wraps up my Darling Girl Cosmetics experience!  I do like that she offers a primer to enhance her eye shadows - one that seems to do exactly what it claims - and she does have a wide range of products. I would definitely recommend that you try it, if you're in the market for a primer.  The difference in eye shadow brightness was very impressive!

Try it if: You're looking for something to bring out the vibrancy of your shadows.
Skip it if: You're insane?  Just kidding.  Other than my personal sensitivity, I can't see a reason not to recommend this.  If you have sensitive skin, though, it might be something to test extensively first before using it on your eyes.

$6.75 for a 10 mL tube from DG Cosmetics.

Ingredients (from the DGC site): Glycerin, Distilled Water, Ethanol, Silica, Polysorbate 60, Xanthan Gum, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide (preservative), Potassium Sorbate (preservative)