Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion with Soothing Oatmeal

The claim: "This triple-oat formula moisturizing lotion with shea butter extract is clinically shown to combat all five symptoms of winter skin: dryness, discomfort, flaking, roughness. and itchiness. And since it has no added fragrances, it's ideal even for sensitive skin." (Amazon.com)
Let's cover the good first (the bad - and there definitely is a bad - is coming): this body lotion does soothe and relieve itchy, dry skin, like it's supposed to.  It is fragrance-free, and even when my skin is already red and itchy, it provides immediate relief.

BUT.  Okay, ready now?

I hate this stuff.  You see, the label says "dimethicone skin protectant," and well, that's fine, because I usually don't react to dimethicones.  However, it makes the texture of the lotion...disgusting.  When you first pump some out, it feels like normal lotion, and then you rub it into your skin, and it sinks in.  But then you are left with this awful, awful tacky feeling afterward, no matter how much you try to rub it in.  You know the tacky feeling of makeup primers (which, ding ding ding, contain silicones!)?  Think that feeling, but everywhere on your body - legs, arms, feet...yuck.  I hate it.  It makes me feel sweaty and unclean, which is not the desired feeling right after I shower and right before I hop into bed.  It makes my legs stick together and I really, really don't like it.  The sticky feeling also lasts throughout the next day, which is even worse.  The itch relief does last quite a while, but the tackiness lasts much, much longer.

It's a shame, because I love the Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Nourishing 24-Hour Body Moisturizer, especially the Soothing version (vanilla & chamomile).  I purchased this one when I ran out of that one, mostly because Target didn't currently have the vanilla chamomile and I needed my lotion.  Also, not all of Aveeno's products are paraben-free; this one was.

Try it if: You want a soothing, itch-relieving lotion for dry skin and you don't mind sticky lotions.
Skip it if: You have a sensitivity to dimethicones (and other silicones), or you hate the texture of silicone makeup primers.

This one runs $6-11 at most drugstores and Ulta; the price depends on what sale is running, etc.  It lasts for a long time and the pump packaging is handy.  However, this one makes my "misses" list, and even though I'm forcing myself to use it up, at some point I will probably wave my white flag and go buy a bottle of the vanilla chamomile stuff I do love.