Friday, July 1, 2011

The Moment of Truth: June

My Three Strikes policy is this: Per month, I can buy three items, or spend $X amount of money, whichever comes first.  The idea is that I don't really need that many things, and I need to curb my spending.  Having a policy like this makes me reconsider what would have been impulse buys, and I feel good about sticking to these sort of self-imposed rules.  The exceptions are: skincare, repurchases of staple items (UDPP, foundation, if I'm buying the exact same product again; if I'm trying something new, it counts as one of the three).  Indie purchases need to be evaluated per basis; generally, if I'm buying samples, and the total is very low, all of the samples together count as one item.  I am including shipping costs in the limit, though - the total amounts that I paid (shipping, tax, everything) counts against the cap total.  Does this sound like I've thought about this too much?  I have.  But I'm trying to save up for a wedding and pay for a recent car purchase and still, you know, eat, so this is how it's gotta be.  If we both weren't graduate students, it might be a little easier, but it is what it is.

June is the first month of this policy, and here's how I did:
Purchase one: Samples, in jars, from Antoinette's Revolution Cosmetics.  Total: $9.98
Purchase two: Samples from Scent By the Sea.  Total: $14
Purchase three: A woven Mossimo fedora from Target.  Total: $14.22

Three items, totaling $38.20.  Under cap.  Woohoo!  It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...and having an item limit made me really debate whether I truly needed/wanted something that badly.  We'll have to see how I do in July!  Have a great weekend, and if you're in the US, enjoy your extra day off :D  I know I will!

Do you have any sort of shopping rules for yourself?