Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Darling Girl Cosmetics Part II: Lips

This is Part II of my Darling Girl Cosmetics reviews.  For Part I, click here.  This one features the lip products.  To just get it out of the way, I'll tell you that I really liked one of these products, and I really didn't like the other.  I'll start with the un-favorite. 
Darling Girl Cosmetics Raining Blood Holo-glass. 
Raining Blood is a holo-glass described as "blackened red with copper and red holo-shimmer."  Holo-glasses are supposed to be more sheer than other glosses, and they're also meant to have an interesting sheen to them.  Holo-glasses are $4.25 for 3.5 mL, or ~$1.21/mL; to give you a sort of benchmark, MAC lipglasses are $14.50 for 0.17 oz (roughly 5 mL), which is ~$2.90/mL.

These are advertised as "sheer." And Raining Blood is rather sheer; it's a spot-on blood-red with lots of gold glitter.  It's really pretty, even if it looks unnervingly like real blood.  Definitely made me think of vampires.  Here it is swatched; one is a focused shot, and one is blurred, so you can see the glitter.
Swatches of Raining Blood, in direct sunlight.  The color is very pretty!




The texture of the gloss is really slippery - not at all sticky or tacky.  This kind of formula feels nice, but also means the color doesn't last very long.  I don't usually have problems with reapplying, though, if I like the effect of the gloss.

The problem is, I don't.  Now, I know everyone has stellar reviews of the lip glosses from this company, but I have to admit that I wasn't really impressed.  The swatch was beautiful.  On my lips, though, application was messy and uneven.  I know it's supposed to be sheer, but that to me still means that I should be able to get an even wash of color all over my lips; I wasn't able to get that even, subtle wash of color.  I absolutely wasn't looking for opacity, but I didn't want patchy areas, and no matter how many times I went over my lips with gloss, it never evened out properly.  Copious amounts of gloss didn't help (lest you think I'm stingy with my lip gloss application, but am I really supposed to need copious amounts?); it just sunk into my lip lines. That is sort of understandable, I guess, since it's such a dark color...maybe I just can't apply lip gloss correctly, haha.
Swatched on bare lips.  Left: indirect sunlight; Right: direct sunlight.  See how it's not even at all?  Looks almost like I really was a vampire, and just had a snack... o_O
Since it was patchy on bare lips, I decided to try it over lipstick.  This is over MAC Musky Amethyst, from the Semi-precious collection.  On its own, Musky Amethyst is a deep berry color.
Darling Girl Cosmetics Raining Blood over MAC Musky Amethyst.
Not much better.  Still patchy, and the gloss kind of pushes around the actual lipstick when applying with the doe foot, even if I try to be as gentle as possible with my layering.  I would not go out like this - it's so messy looking.  This is a definite pass for me.  Maybe I'm missing something - any tips/suggestions?

Okay, enough of that.  On to the product I did like.

Boy Toy is a "Kiss Me Tinted Lip Balm" from the "Naughty & Nice" collection.  I picked up the Formula 1 variation, with these ingredients (from the Darling Girl Cosmetics' ecrater store product description):  Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Bee's Wax,Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer. Candelilla Wax and Carnauba Wax. 

There is a shea butter-free formula for those with allergies (Formula 2), but I can't comment on that one as I haven't tried it.  Formula 1, at least, is buttery-smooth and soft.  Even though it looks sort of gritty in the tube, it isn't gritty at all, and applies evenly, if a bit thickly.  It's unscented and flavorless, though I do detect a faint, waxy note that is common in all lip products.  It's not pronounced or severe, though, and it doesn't bother me.  
Boy Toy on the lips (tinted lip balm).
Color wise, it is a great peachy-tan neutral that leans cool, with lots of pale shimmer - champagne-colored, actually.  It's really pretty, and I think it would go great with a smoky eye, or, well, any kind of look.  It does block out my natural pink lip color, as mentioned in the product description.  If you have naturally dark lips, I'm not sure if it would have the same effect - it may just mute your natural color very slightly.  I like that it's not too pink - pinky browns tend to make me look dead.  (It looks more pink in the photo that in person, I think).

In terms of wear and feel, it stays on comfortably for an hour or two.  It can get a little grimy and gritty after a while - even without eating or drinking - but a lot of balms are like that.  These tinted lip balms are $4.50 and come in a slim tube; I'm not sure how much product is in one - the amount isn't listed on the page.
Finally: the lip scrub.  It smells divine.  It comes in a small jar with a scooper, in a cute little bag.  I'm not sure about the consistency, as I haven't tried a lot of lip scrubs, though this one is definitely more chunky, and not suspended at all; what I'm trying to say is, it's a lot of sugar crystals loosely held together by oils, rather than an emulsion type thing with lots of itty bitty crystals (itty bitty gritties? Hee hee hee).

The directions on the website say to rub a small amount in a circular motion on your lips, and then just wipe off the sugar crystals without rinsing.  I tried this a couple of times, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I think I may have a minor reaction to some of the ingredients (though I don't have any known allergies to any of them), as my lips felt hot and tingly afterward - and not in a good, freshly exfoliated kind of way - and the product isn't as lubricated as I'd like.  I think I still want to try the Fresh lip scrub, though I will probably continue using this, unless the reaction becomes more pronounced.
I do appreciate the labeling the company does, even if the aesthetic isn't really my style.  That's neither here nor there, though, is it?
My overall feeling on the lip products?  I'd buy more tinted lip balms, but I would pass on the glosses.  I know she has a multitude of other formulas, but I'm not really that interested in gloss to begin with, and it's a little too much of a miss for me to experiment much more with products that can't be readily returned.  I'll probably stick to commercial brand products for that.  The company seems to be a good one, though, and maybe I'm just not a lip gloss person - I'd definitely encourage you to look at other reviews of her lip products, as many others seem to like them.  I'm also not really sold on the lip scrub, and will probably keep looking for a new one.

Sorry for the monster-sized post!  The glitter glue post will come up maybe this weekend, or Monday?  We have family in town, so I'm busy gallivanting around and pretending to be a tourist :D