Friday, June 3, 2011

MAC Surf Baby: Bust Out

We will get to the lipstick very soon, but first, look: It's National Doughnut Day.

Eat a doughnut, please.
From Top Pot Doughnuts.  This was taken with my phone...approximately three seconds before all of those doughnuts disappeared.  Poof!  Magic!
Now that the important stuff is out of the way...on to the lipstick!  I initially went to check out the MAC Surf Baby collection because I was interested in Hibiscus.  When I swatched that on my hand, though, it wasn't a very standout color, and I suspected it wouldn't look terribly different than some of the other colors I have.  On a whim, I tried Bust Out on my lips...and you know, I really loved it.  And it's purple.
It's a lustre finish, which usually wears pretty comfortably on my lips.  On me, it's a gorgeous glossy plum color that I absolutely fell in love with.  It's a darker shade, but not too vampy - I think there's a lot of versatility in this shade, and am going to have fun pairing it with different eye looks.  It also leaves a subtle purple stain when it wears off, which I consider a good thing.
In sunlight.
In photo booth - lower resolution, but brighter image.
 Here are the ingredients.
Click for larger.
I prefer MAC's usual black tube, but at least I'll be able to pick this one out easily, right?
I don't love the packaging - I think it's kind of cheesy, actually - and I'm also faintly annoyed at MAC's practice of charging an extra $1 for limited edition/promotion shades.  Is that extra dollar going toward anything special?  Eh.  I did try to look through their permanent line to see if there was a similar shade - nope.  But it's okay, I'm happy with this purchase.  It's definitely something different, and I'm really pleased with it!

Did you pick up anything from the Surf Baby collection?