Thursday, June 30, 2011

June Favorites

 
Blake Shelton: Who Are You When I'm Not Looking.  Um, his eyes are so blue.  And okay, yeah, it's country, which is not my go-to genre of choice, but you know, there's such a raw, intense emotion present in country songs, that sometimes they're just the right thing to listen to.  Country singers also just seem to have so much fun with their "I'm full of attitude" songs, as well.  Anyway.  Blake.  His voice is sexy.  And yes, I started listening to him because he's on The Voice.  Don't judge.  :D

In terms of makeup and beauty, here are the month's superstars:
Zoya Get Even base coat, EcoTools Bamboo Finishing Kabuki, Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Quad in Teddy Bear, Sephora Professionnel All Over Large Shadow Brush #21
Zoya Get Even base coat: This one is touted as "ridge-filling," and you know, it actually works.  It takes continuous use over several weeks and isn't instantaneous, of course, but after using it under every manicure for the past month or so, I find there is a marked difference in my thumbnails.  They're usually very bumpy and thin, but this has evened them out considerably.  It also prevents stains on my nails, so it's a great base coat.
Clinique Colour Surge Eye Shadow Quad in Teddy Bear: Most of my skincare is from Clinique, but I usually find their color makeup options rather blah.  Sometimes you want blah, though, haha.  Well, maybe not blah, so much, but natural and soft.  I bought this when I was looking for a completely matte neutral shadow palette ($25.50 at Clinique counters, Sephora, etc.).  At first, I thought it was too muddy, and it sat unused for a while.  I just dug it out again though, and this time I'm really loving it.  The brush and applicator it comes with are pretty useless; I use my regular shadow brushes.  The colors aren't strong or super-pigmented, but they're perfect for a neutral, natural look.  The lightest color is also a great highlight color. These colors are matte, with just the barest hint of fine shimmer.

EcoTools Bamboo Finishing Kabuki: Find the review here.  It's a great brush for liquid foundation; I dab a little bit of whatever I'm using (it's still Dior's TM, lately) on my cheeks, under my eyes, on my forehead, and chin, and then dab it out with this brush to provide nice, even coverage.  It's also really easy to clean this brush - it dries completely overnight, making it ready for use the next morning.

Sephora Professionnel All Over Large Shadow Brush #2: I have some other Sephora eye brushes, but this is the one I've been using the most often lately.  It has a large, fluffy head, that's good for patting or swiping on color.  It's not the best for blending out (the brush head is a bit too thin and narrow for that), but it is adequate, and it's nice to use just one brush for everything sometimes.

What were your favorites in June?  Let me know, or link to your post in the comments!