Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40

To herald in summer, I figured I'd do a sunscreen post!
This has been the facial sunscreen of choice since I started college, I think, so I've been using this for six or seven years now.  I started with Clinique City Block SPF 25, but recently moved up to SPF 40.  There are a few differences in the formula, as far as I can tell; SPF 25 is a bit thicker in consistency, while SPF 40 is a little looser.  Some say SPF 40 leaves a white sheen on their skin, but I don't notice this on myself, so it's not an issue for me.

I wear this over moisturizer and under makeup.  It comes in a tube, which I really like; it's easy to squeeze out just the right amount, and I only use a pea-sized dot for my entire face.  It rubs in easily and is foundation-colored, though I don't notice any sort of color on my face - it's pretty colorless once applied, and blends in really well.  It *might* leave a whitish cast on darker skin tones, but I don't really think it will - it's not intended to provide a foundation-type coverage, so color-matching isn't important, and it doesn't leave behind a noticeable tint.  It does smell of sunscreen, but well...it is sunscreen, and the scent fades very quickly - it's gone after a couple of minutes.  The finish isn't greasy or drying or otherwise noticeable at all, really, and makeup layers well over it.  I wear this in lieu of other primers, whether I wear makeup or not.

It's supposed to provide "broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sun-blocking ingredients" (via Sephora), which is another plus for me; it is important to use sunscreens that protect against both UVA and UVB rays (if you want a good overview of the two types of light and the differences between them, check out this post from The Skin Cancer Foundation).

This is a skincare essential for me, and I've repurchased it numerous times, though a tube does last a fairly long time, even with religious daily use.  $18 for 1.4 oz at Sephora, Nordstrom, Macy's, or Clinque's website.