Friday, June 24, 2011

Clarins Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

(I actually haven't used this in a while, since I mentioned that I'm trying to forgo heavy concealer type products under my eyes lately.  However, the post was lined up and ready, so I figured I'd set it loose! )

I use UDPP to prime my eyelids, and I prolly won't deviate from that, because it works for me, but I've never used anything to prime my under eye area for concealer.  I don't know that it's really necessary, but my under eye area is so dry (even with application of eye cream twice a day) that even most liquid concealers go on a bit cakey, and dry down to emphasize lines.
Clarins Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base - it's a pen.
Ingredient panel: click for larger.
I've been trying the Clarins Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base as an under eye concealer.  It's not really marketed as an under eye product (though it is listed in Sephora's "concealer/shadow base category), but I figured that anything gentle enough for my eyelid, should be gentle enough for the under eye area.
It has a brush tip, and you click the bottom to get product to come out.  Truth be told, I really hate this type of pen, because one click is never enough, but two clicks is overwhelming!  And when you first start out, you never know how many turns to make.  If these pens were cased in a clear plastic instead, that might be helpful, so you could actually see the product moving up.

So, does it work?  Well, it's definitely light and brightens my skin considerably.  Sometimes I layer concealer over it, and sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I try it under foundation, and sometimes I try it over foundation.  Regardless of the exact method/ordering of products, I don't feel like it does a lot to keep my under eye area moisturized - the lines and milia there are still emphasized by any additional concealer and even this itself.  It does brighten the area a bit, though, which is nice, and the brush is gentle enough not to drag at the skin.  It doesn't seem to last very long without a concealer though, and that's prolly because it is intended as just a base.  I don't know that I really need another eye shadow primer, though - UDPP Eden and Greed are more go-tos, and they are excellent.

Would I repurchase?  No.  I think I just need to find a new concealer with more moisturizing power, as I haven't seen too many under eye base type products.  I may try some MAC ones.  Any suggestions?