Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boscia Enlivening Amino-AG Eye Treatment (Comparison Post)

I received a sample of this with some other Boscia products as one of my Sephora 500-pt perks a while ago.  It's tiny, but a little goes a long way, and I've been using it for several weeks now without any sign of running out.
This is the sample I received as part of the 500-pt Boscia perk gift at Sephora.
Sephora's website says this is a "silky cream that hydrates and revitalizes the delicate eye area."

"Silky" is definitely the right word here.  The texture is smooth and slippery, almost like silicone-based primers (and it does have dimethicones in this, for all of you silicone-sensitive peoples) and melts into skin beautifully.  I also find that this layers beautifully under foundation - it doesn't pill up or rub out like some other eye creams do.  In terms of banishing dark circles and puffiness, well, I can't say that I see a huge, miraculous difference, but you know - it's hard to gauge these kinds of things in your own face.  I use this more because I like the texture and feel of it, and haven't had any adverse reactions.  I do think that it mitigates puffiness, and it does keep the area hydrated.  My dark circles appear to be genetic, so they're not going away anytime soon, no matter how much sleep I get or what kind of eye creams I use.  Generally, I look for eye creams that absorb well, don't pill under makeup, hydrate the area, and contain light-reflecting particles.

It's difficult to evaluate eye creams (and skincare in general) with anti-aging benefits, since they're preventative measures.  I'd have to be able to see my future self in two alternate timelines (one in which I did use eye cream, and one in which I didn't) in order to be able to see any significant difference, and well, that's sort of not possible, you know?  I don't think all eye creams are just fluff and lies, though, because my mom (and the women in her family) have all been pretty serious about their skincare - including religious use of eye cream - and their faces are much more youthful looking than women of comparative ages, ethnic backgrounds, etc.  Of course, this could just be genetic, so I'm crossing my fingers!
I've reviewed Bliss's eye cream in the past, and still haven't run out of that, though recently I've been alternating between the two.  How do they compare?
  • Bliss's version is $28 for 0.5 oz, versus Boscia's $38 for 0.5 oz, though I do find that I need a little more of the Bliss than I do of the Boscia. 
  • The texture of the Bliss cream is a little more oily and greasy than the Boscia; Boscia absorbs slightly better into my skin
  • Bliss's version seems to reduce the appearance of dark circles a little more (light reflective particles), though it does appear a bit oily to the eye as well, because of this
  • both are formulated without: parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, phthalates, GMOs and triclosan (per Sephora's website)
  • The Bliss eye cream doesn't appear to contain variants of silicones (though please double check the list to make sure)
  • Bliss comes in a tube (haha, does it really?  Get me some of that!), and the Boscia full size comes in a pump bottle
I have been switching between the two after using just the Boscia for a couple of weeks; both are good, I think, so it depends what your needs are.  The Boscia is marketed more as an anti-aging product, while the Bliss is intended to be "all-purpose" for eyes.  I've been using Boscia at night, and Bliss in the morning; I'm not sure which I would repurchase at this point; there are also some other alternatives that I've been interested in, like Dior's Hydra Life Pro-Youth Sorbet Eye Creme.  That one is quite pricey, though, and I think if I had to choose, I'd buy the Bliss again, because it does make dark circles appear a little lighter, and it still absorbs well into my skin. 

Ingredients for Boscia Enlivening Amino-AG Eye Treatment (from Sephora.com): Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Triethylhexanoin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Vinyl Dimethicone/Lauryl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Betaine, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Leaf Extract Epilobium Angustifolium (Willowherb) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Coix Seed Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Alanyl Glutamine, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Angelica Keiskei Extract, Jujube Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza (Licorice) Extract, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Rosa Canina Fruit (Rose Hips) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil.