Monday, May 30, 2011

Summer Glow: Neutral Spotlight!

I know summer is typically a time to pull out all the stops and toss on every bright color imaginable, but this summer I'm actually really in love with neutrals - nudes (for my skin tone), browns, golds, bronze, taupe, beige - all of those colors.  I'm loving them on my nails, my eyes, face, and in my clothing and accessory choices.  I feel fresh and clean and summery when I wear these colors - guess I'm kind of going through a color minimalist phase. These are the products I'm going through most often right now - not all at the same time, of course!
1. EL Double Wear Stay-In-Place Powder in  2N1 Desert Beige: for days when I just want to wear powder foundation
2. Dior Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder in Aurora (review, swatches): lovely, all-over glow
3. Dior Hydra Life Skin Tint (review): beautiful, dewy finish tinted moisturizer that actually feels moisturizing
4. Benefit Magic Ink Liquid Liner: has a thin brush instead of a foam tip, which is...interesting.  Nevertheless, this is my go-to right now for thin, glossy black lines (winged liner!)
5. Tarte bronzer in Hotel Heiress: matte bronzer with staying power, used for contour or extra oomph over the Dior powder
6. MAC tinted lip conditioner in Soothing Beige (review coming): natural, barely there color that leans brown
7. Shiro Cosmetics eye shadows in Triforce (gold), [Subject Name Here] (peachy orange), Thinking With Portals (orange with blue glitter), Small Key (bronze), S.S. Anne (champagne) (review and swatches here and here)
8. MAC High Tea lipstick (review and swatches here): pearly pink gold wash - a lustre finish
9. Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil Liners in Underground, El Dorado, Zero, Bourbon
Close-up of the Shiro Cosmetics shadows.  I took the sifters out of Thinking With Portals and [Subject Name Here], because I got tired of banging them against the counter to unsettle the shadow and actually have it sift out - those mini-jars are packed!  I considered hiring a squirrel to bang them around instead (can't you picture a squirrel with a shadow jar instead of a walnut clenched in his little fists?) but then I decided to just take the sifter out.  As predicted, I made a mess. 
Here's everything, swatched on my arm.
(L-R): Shiro Cosmetics Thinking With Portals, [Subject Name Here], Triforce, S.S. Anne, Small Key
Tarte Hotel Heiress, Dior Aurora
MAC Soothing Beige, High Tea

Urban Decay El Dorado, Underground, Bourbon, Zero
Aren't they pretty browns, oranges, and neutrals?  You can click the swatch picture for a larger versionMy nail colors have been complementary too.
Review for Satin is here; review for Jules is here.

I especially love wearing a gold/bronze/neutral (toned down and natural - sun-kissed, if you would, not full on shimmery/oily) face with a light, beige colored blouse I have, and with the nude pumps or the wedge sandals I purchased lately.  But I've been wearing variations of the same face (tinted moisturizer, Dior Aurora, neutral shimmery gold/bronze eye combos) with all of my outfits recently, which is kind of amusing only because I have so many bright new Shiro Cosmetics shadows to play with - and I only want to wear neutrals!  Haha.  I'm still looking for a nude lip color - any suggestions?  I'm thinking maybe MAC Freckletone.