Sunday, May 22, 2011

MAC Viva Glam II

I'll tell you right off: I didn't keep this one.  It didn't wear comfortably, and the color was not at all flattering when I gave it a test run (I'm not sure what I was thinking when I tried it on in the store).  I exchanged it for High Tea (a lustre finish).  However, I will show you a swatch, so you can see what it looks like on someone with my skin tone, and possibly see why I exchanged it.
Anyway, here is MAC's Viva Glam II.  I was looking for a nice neutral lipstick, but colors that are too brown or tan make me look dead.  Dead's not a good look.  Unfortunately, that's the look that this gives me.  It's pinky mauve, and opaque; it settles into my lip lines and even feels a bit dry going on.  It ends up looking flat when I wear it, as well.  Apparently satin finishes are not for me.
Ingredients; click for larger.
Satin lipsticks seem to be opaque - almost matte - and not at all glossy.  This is definitely not as creamy or comfortable as the other three that I own (which are a glaze, lustre, and amplified creme - I didn't realize that they were all different, haha).
Viva Glam II; it pulls fairly pink/mauve on my lips, but it actually looks more pink here than in person.  Either way, it made me look like a zombie. o_O
$14.50 for 0.1 oz wherever MAC cosmetics are sold, though I just learned that 100% of the Viva Glam series costs are donated to the MAC AIDS fund.  This made me feel really bad that it didn't work out for me.  I'll have High Tea up later; it has a pearly finish, which initially made me pause, but it's actually really lovely.

Just for kicks, here is a post from Cosmetosaur with all six of the Viva Glam lipsticks swatched.  I found it difficult to find swatches of Viva Glam II (all of the blog posts seem to be about Viva Glam Gaga II, which is impossible to edit out of my search), so this is a handy reference.