Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Diorskin Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder: 001 Aurora

After seeing this explode all over the beauty blogs, I had to have it.  I got mine from Nordstrom - Sephora's website still listed it as "not in stock."  Boo that. (*Edit: It's now in stock online with Sephora - 5.10.11)
Sorry you can see my camera - and um, some of my face, eep - in the box's reflective surface.  I hate these shiny mirrored things.  And I didn't wanna fuss around with it too much because the woman outside the window was staring at me.  What, you've never seen a beauty blogger before?  Move along, lady.
I know, I know, what happened to my no-buy?  It's been modified - into an exact makeup budget per month.  Before this, I sort of gave myself a general budget, but that obviously is not working.  So now there's a real number - one that I will hopefully stick to.  Something good came out of this, right? 

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and get this now, because it's limited edition, and I really, really, wanted it.  And I definitely do not regret it.  I picked Aurora because I'm pretty fair, and I just ordered it online to pick up in store at Nordstrom - I never actually swatched Aurora or Sunset before purchase, so I can't tell you what Sunset looks like.  It seems (from other reviews) that Sunset is definitely aimed toward people far darker than myself.  Plus, it was kind of orange-y in photos, and orange is generally not a good color for my skin. 
With the tiny brush it came with.  The compact's actually pretty big - I was surprised.  I use a fluffy face brush for application, though, not this.
I was a little concerned that Aurora would show up too pink on my skin, but that's not the case - if anything, it pulls more brown/orange, but in a good way.  It's hard to explain or catch in pictures - in person, though, I glow, people, I glow!  I'm still working on the best way to wear it - how heavily to apply it, etc.  I've been applying it carefully and lightly, like I do regular bronzer, but since it's not that intense, I think I could prolly go a little heavier, and use it a bit more freely around my entire face.  Right now, I use it on my cheeks/cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, lightly against my forehead, and a brush stroke or two on my chin.  The shimmer is also very finely milled, so that I glow rather than sparkle.  I really, really love the effect, and I'm thinking it's going to be in constant use forever more.  It's also nice that I don't need to layer a blush over this (though I rarely do that, even with other bronzers) - it has enough color on its own.
The woven pattern is so pretty!
Do you need this?  Well, if you have a bronzer you love, then...prolly not, though it is far subtler than most bronzers and not at all brown or muddy.  I hesitate to say anyone really needs a product.  I was thinking the other day, that everyone can prolly make do with several basic makeup items - but we choose not to.  So that's that.  I picked Dior's summer bronzer offering over many other much touted releases (e.g. Chanel, Guerlain), but that's my own personal preference this time around. This runs $46 for 0.35 oz; I've seen it at Macy's and Nordstrom (online).  It doesn't seem to be as intense as some of the other bronzers, though - it really is a "healthy glow" sort of powder.  I had problems swatching it (it shows up kind of muddy on my arm, which is not how it looks on my face at all), so I'll just refer you to some other sites with better swatches. (*Edit, 5.13.11: I swatched it!  Find that here.)

See other reviews of Dior Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder (seriously?  Who came up with this product name?): The Beauty Look Book (she has great comparison photos, too), Cafe Makeup (who has several looks using it featuring her daughter Liz, and application tips), Makeup and Beauty Blog (Karen shows Sunset).