Monday, May 23, 2011

Dior Hydra Life Pro-Youth Skin Tint SPF 20

It's time to break out your tinted moisturizers, my dears.  I reviewed Tarte's Smooth Operator here, and said that I find it only mediocre.  Even so, I was determined to use it up, but, um, then I bought this.  Let's not talk about it anymore.
Let's talk about this instead.  From what I can find, it seems like this is a Dior tinted moisturizer (TM) that is exclusive to Sephora; it comes in three shades and is $39 for 1.7 oz.  I do want to point out that the names of the shades in store are different than the ones online; for example, I bought the lightest shade, which is called "1 Cream" online, but the label on my box and tube are "1 Natural."  Not a big deal, but a bit curious all the same.  I wonder what I would have received if I ordered it online?  Oh well.
Ingredients; click for larger.
Again, this product seems to be afflicted with Dior's tendency toward needlessly long names, but I guess the idea is that it's supposed to be moisturizing, anti-aging, sun-protecting, and provide some coverage.  It actually does at least three of those four things (I'm sure you understand that I can't gauge anti-aging effects in any sort of quantitative way) and I'm pretty enamored with it.
It has a slight fragrance to it, which I can't quite identify, but which reminds me of many Asian skincare and makeup products.  It fades shortly after application, but I actually find it quite pleasant - and it's not too strong.  The tube packaging is nice; it's flat and it's very easy to squeeze out a controlled amount of product.  I use my fingers to apply it, and as I rubbed a bit into my skin, I immediately noticed a difference - my skin was dewier, definitely, both in look and feel.  I really like these kinds of finishes.  There is a fine line between "dewy" and "oily," but this falls on the nicer end of that spectrum, thankfully.
Despite the limited shade range, this TM actually provides a fair bit of coverage - I was impressed.  Definitely more than the Smooth Operator, and maybe even more than some light liquid foundations I've tried in the past.  It evens out skin tone without being heavy, though I will admit that your skin will be moist to the touch - not powdery dry.  It's hard to explain, but it's kind of the difference between wearing liquid foundation or just wearing powder, and it's noticeable here.

In general, I find that I really like Dior face products (I love the finish of the Airflash, which I had used on me before the allergy situation) and wish they had more paraben-free options.  I'm actually interested in trying more of the Hydra Life skincare line, now, but they are pricy so it may have to wait for a while.  I love wearing this paired with the Dior Aurora summer powder - such a beautiful, healthy glow.  This one's staying in constant rotation, and it provides enough moisture that I'm really curious to see how it holds up in the winter, too.