Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back to Basics: Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer

Winter weather really does a number on my skin (read: dry, patchy, yuck).  And we've had winter up until about...last week.  So during the last Sephora sale, I picked up the Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer (what is it with loooong product names?  Sheesh).  It contains SPF 20 and is meant for daytime use, which is slightly disappointing - no doubling up as a night cream here.  I suppose there's nothing stopping you from using it at night, but the instructions explicitly state "AM use."  And I don't really think I need SPF at night.  Which means I need a separate night cream, but that can wait for now (any suggestions?).
It's $42.50 for 1.7 oz at Sephora, and comes in a jar.  I don't really like moisturizers in jars (pumps are much more sanitary, and it's easier to get out just enough product that way) but jar packaging is not a deal-breaker for me.  It's a thick cream that's nevertheless easy to smooth out into my skin, and although it does have a faint scent that I usually associate with sunscreens, this fades minutes after application.  In the morning, I apply this over my Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, and under Clinique City Block - I just put four dots on my face with a single finger (forehead, each cheek, chin) and rub in gently with my fingertips.  The weather is heading into summer now, but I don't find it heavy or oily at all.  (If you want to know what my skin is normally like, read this post.)
ingredient panel: click for larger.
I use the Even Better serum (I've gone through two or three bottles of that), so I've had a good experience with Clinique's Even Better line.  This doesn't disappoint.  I think the 3-step Moisturizing Gel is okay on its own during the hot summer months, but I've needed to have my skin recover a bit, and this has helped to get rid of all the dry patches that I've had.  I'll prolly also continue using it for a while, since I haven't noticed any breakouts, and it does promise to even out skin tone.

Since I've only been using it for about a month and a half so far, I can't attest to the "skin tone correcting" aspect yet, but I will say that the serum does work for me.  One of the Clinique MAs compared my darkest spots to this little colored card she had, and then scheduled me to come in about four months after I purchased a bottle.  I did this, and we compared the same spot to the gradient card again - it had gotten about two or three shades lighter.  It's not going to erase spots, now, but it'll lighten them.  A note: It's really important to wear sun protection while using the serums (and even this moisturizer, I imagine, even though it has SPF in it) since the serum works to break up pigmentation and makes your skin light sensitive.  I have just run out of serum, and it's so pricey that I'm going to just use this for now and see if it has a similar impact.