Saturday, April 2, 2011

Zoya Color Lock System and Zoya Marley

With Zoya's last BOGO coupon (promoting their summer collections), I decided to finally pick up the Zoya Color Lock kit, which has gotten rave reviews on a lot of other beauty blogs.  I was really excited about the quick-drying drops, because I hate waiting for coats to dry!  Base coats are usually quick (I'm using OPI's strengthening base coat at the moment), but the color coats - I usually do two - and the top coat take forever.  What if you have to go to the bathroom?  Or want to eat a cookie?  Or need to eat dinner, or something?  (Yeah.  Food's a big part of my life.  There's a lot of eating.)

The first thing: this kit is a LOT bigger than I expected!  Look at it!  I pulled it out of the box and my only thought was, "Where the heck am I going to put this thing?" (S. already said we need a whole other room just for my nail polish... -__-).  Aside from that though, it was pretty exciting to see all the cool stuff in it.   And I needed to give my nails a fresh paint job (Jules has finally chipped and begun to show wear...though honestly, it's mostly from climbing.), so it was the perfect occasion to put some of this to use.

I did my nails with Zoya Marley, because I was in the mood for a nice pastel.  I initially hadn't given Marley much thought, because it looked like a pretty generic pinky-lavender cream, but once I started applying it, I was smitten.  It looks really pink and flat in the bottle, but on my nails it's definitely a pale lavender with the most beautiful pearly sheen.  Unfortunately, this little nuance is extremely hard to capture in pictures, even though I tried three kinds of light (natural direct, indirect, and with flash).  You can kind of see it in the flash picture.  (Please forgive my sloppy paint job.  I was in a hurry.)  The only problem I have with this polish is that it is a little streaky and a little sticky - even after two coats, some of my nails had visible streak marks.  Of course, that is prolly just due to the handler, not the product, but this polish didn't feel as forgiving as the others I've tried so far in this collection (like Jules, Dove, Dannii).

 
My fingertips are peeling - gross, I know, but when your fingers are covered in chalk and shoved into rock crevices...not much you can do about it.  I'll try to maybe just take single finger shots next time?  Of non-peeling fingers only. :)
I used the Zoya armor coat after two coats of Marley, and then the Hurry Up drops.  The drops are amazing.  It feels oily and slippery, and some will prolly get on your fingers, so beware.  But my nails dried so quickly!  And there were no weird smudges or nicks after drying, too.  I was so excited.  We'll have to see how it holds up over the next few days, but I'll be climbing on Tuesday and my nails get shot to hell during climbing sessions, so I'll prolly be doing my nails again very soon.  I have more Zoya to go through, anyway.
Bottle of win!
Have you tried this system?  What do you think?

4 comments:

GretchTM said...

Wow, that color is gorgeous!

Larie said...

It's much prettier in person - darn my lack of camera skills :p I also like it because it seems to be kind of unique; I don't really expect my nails to be lavender, and then bam! :D

VijiiS said...

This system has been on my wish list forever. I'll be waiting for the next sale to pick these up.

Larie said...

@ Vijiis: You definitely should, I think they're great products! I still have these on my fingers - no chips, no dents, and very minor tip wear!

Post a Comment