Monday, April 25, 2011

We Really do Need Standardized Women's Sizing

Please read this article.  It really frustrates me that women constantly have to guess at their clothing size, because it varies so much from store to store.  This is a result of vanity sizing, as they call it, and the fact that different stores seem to have different ideas of what a valid size range should be.  Why can't we be like men, and just have our measurements as sizes?  I understand the reason behind this: maybe a woman doesn't really want to be hit over the head with a "40-in" waist size tag on her pants, but wouldn't she be so much happier if she at least knows not to bother with the arbitrarily assigned size 8, or 10, or 16, or whatever?  Isn't that even more demoralizing?  You have to go through the agonizing - and time-wasting - practice of trying on a full range of sizes, just to see where you fall in this store's schema. 

I won't pretend that I know my own measurements - I've never bothered to have anything tailored, and so I have never had my measurements taken.  This will prolly change very shortly, when I have to start shopping for a wedding dress (I'm putting it off as long as possible), but I really do feel like it's something I should have done - get my measurements, I mean - I just haven't gotten around to doing it.  However, if all of my clothing was dictated by these measurements, I prolly would know them. 

It's a lot easier to shop for men's clothing, you know.  Look for the proper waist size (in inches, here), proper length (also in a tangible, standardized number), and shirts - also regulated by arm length, etc.  Whereas we have to deal with "XS, petite XS, XXL, M, size 8, size 2, size 16."  What do those numbers/labels even mean?  I like to shop, but I hate trying things on (especially if I'm wearing jeans tucked into knee boots, or something.  Come on.  Do you know how irritating it is to take those off and put 'em back on in a hurry?) and it'd be nice to know that something would just fit, damnit.

What are your thoughts?  Do you have trouble finding your size across stores, or do you have it all down pat?