Saturday, April 16, 2011

MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner Fuchsia Fix Review

I know there are a lot of posts about lip products here, but this is because I have such a hard time finding one that I like and will actually use.  I don't have much tolerance for sticky or waxy textures, or weird colors, or products that settle into my lip lines.  I don't mind reapplying, I suppose, but I think that's generally because I like products that don't carry a lot of pigment to begin with, so I never have to deal with the strange look that a faded lipstick will give you.  I prefer not to have glitter in my lip products (gritty gritty gritty, ew) although a subtle, glossy look is sometimes nice.

I typically have dry lips, and when I went to get a lipstick (yes, I bought a lipstick - that's for next time), I mentioned this to the MA.  We duly avoided mattes and frost finishes because of this.  And then she suggested that I pick this up to go with my lipstick purchase.  SPF, a tolerable smell (it has a light vanilla scent) and a barely-there color - I was sold.  So I've been giving it a try.

My thoughts?

I really like it.  I feel that the product delivers on its claims.  My lips don't dry out (though they can get a bit sticky toward the end of the day...I'm not sure what kind of behaviors contribute to this, because sometimes it's not sticky at all.  Does anyone have any ideas?) and the color is subtle, a nice, slightly more fuchsia (i.e. cooler rather than warm pink) enhancement of my natural lip color (though my lips are fairly pigmented on their own).  The form of the product may give some people pause (it's in a little flat jar), but I keep it on my desk along with tissues and a Bath & Body Works Pocketbac, so sticking my finger into the pot doesn't bother me so much.  Germs, I know, but lip brushes are not my thing.  I think that would work though - if you had one of those lip brushes with a cap that you could just keep with your balm.  I also carried it around in my purse during my conference, and reapplied after washing my hands in the bathroom, whenever I happened to go.  I think I like the pot.  It's not deep, but it's flat and wide, so that even when you're getting toward the bottom of the jar (which I think would take me forever), you won't be getting gunk all over your finger as you try to get product out.

Bottom line: like.  My first MAC product, and it's a win.  (I'm not much for MAC.  I don't have good reasons.  I'll go more in depth on this in my upcoming lipstick post).  I do think that if you're going for strong color, this isn't the way to go - I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that all the tints of balm prolly show up the same on most lips (but maybe they don't), but it's good for layering under your lipstick, or wearing alone on days where you want a more natural look.

Look, paraben-free! :)

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed oil, Polybutene, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Fragrance (Parfum), Silica, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil Unsaponifiables, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Astrocaryum Murumuru Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Cholestero, Lecithin, Squalane, Polyethylene, Polydecene, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Saccharin, Vanillin, BHT, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI77492, CI 77499), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005)] <ILN31120>

3 comments:

GretchTM said...

I almost bought this, but I decided not to because I was content with carmex. Haha! I'm glad you like it!

VijiiS said...

I've tried the MAC tinted lip conditioners, and they're lovely except for being in pot form. I like to moisturize my lips over and over (even when I don't need to), and I know I'll forget to sanitize my hands and get dust into it, which is... xP

Larie said...

@Gretchen: I've still never tried a Carmex! And it's always nice to have a tried and true product that never fails you :D

@VijiiS: Yeah, so far I've been pretty good about keeping the dust out of my jar :D I love the little Bath & Body Works Pocketbacs...they usually smell good, too :D

Post a Comment