Friday, April 29, 2011

Tarte Mascaras: Yay!

Since I'm actually wearing mascara today, I thought I'd do a post on it.  It's hard to find a good mascara - I want one with volume and no flaking, smudging, or stickiness.  Length doesn't matter as much to me, though holding a curl is a big bonus. I don't wear it every day (prolly just a few times a month, haha, which makes mascara purchases extremely silly), but sometimes I want that extra oomph, so I need to have a good one in my, uh, arsenal.

But where does one start in the quest for the ultimate mascara?  There are so many, at so many different price points.  There are some that I have tried and loved, though.  Before the whole allergy problem, I loved the intense drama and volume of the original DiorShow, and Clinique's High Impact.  Even with a primer (I always use mascara primer when I wear mascara), both smudged very slightly on me by the end of the day, but in general they were long wearing and there was a big difference in volume, lash thickness, and color intensity between my lashes with and without mascara.  Both were also noticeably heavy and stiff, though - I was always aware that I was wearing mascara.

Within the paraben-free range, I've tried just a couple: Smashbox's Bionic (a VIB bonus sample from Sephora), and Tarte's Multipleye Natural Lash Enhancing Mascara, and their Lights, Camera, Lashes.  The Smashbox smudged like crazy on me (even with a primer), and it didn't seem to have dramatic curling, volume, or lengthening effects.  The Tarte ones are another story; I love both.  I prefer the Multipleye simply because it feels less stiff/sticky, though both really aren't so bad in that department.  They don't budge, either, which is wonderful - I hate the wandering mascara effect.  And they do add that extra "oomph!" in lash volume, which is really what I'm looking for when I wear it.
I've only tried the sample sizes (both as bonuses from Tarte), but I will buy a full-sized Multipleye when I run out (less sticky = winner).  I can't really pinpoint any further distinctions between the two, however, so if you don't mind stickiness, try both.  The brushes are simple and easy, and the formula is great.  Both also remove easily with my Clinique Take the Day Off makeup remover (and, more recently, my Boscia, which I will be reviewing shortly).

No comments:

Post a Comment